old gas in the tank

My Bug has been sitting for 2 years and I am looking to have it running in the next 4 weeks. What should I do about the old gas in the tank. Should I get rid of it? If so, how do you get rid of old gas in the city. Also, any other suggestion about getting a bug back on the road that has been sitting for a couple years?

Tim

74std
Reply to
tdfm

Run the gas thru your lawnmower (or the neighbor's). Actually, it may still burn OK. I've been surprised. Just fill the carb with some fresh fuel and see if it will run. Add "Stabil" to the tank if it will help.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Two years, no problem. Evacuates by driving to half and then fill it up with fresh. For sure, replace fuel line filter after that.

Be careful with the engine. Turn it first by hand before you start the engine. Have you changed oil before you sat down? If not flush engine with fresh oil, because of combustion residues.

Regards,

Ralf

Reply to
Ralf Ballis

Most important of all... Check the brakes, no point using gas (old or new) when you have no brakes :)

Good luck and have fun driving, Roger

Reply to
bug '59

It works good for weed killer, liquid edger, and for cleaning the driveway.

After you use it up, you might want to use odorless mineral spirits for cleaning the drive.

That way the neighbors want be so alarmed by the smell.

Be safe and don't get caught.

Reply to
Jim347a

I would dump the gas. use some carb cleaner and do expect the rubber hoses on the brakes to swell up on the inside. replace too. maybe replace the rubber gas hoses. too.

as for a use for old gas , I keep it around for cleaning like paint brushes or whatever. gawd it smells bad.

Reply to
Crusader george

A lot of bootless for only two years old gas.

Regards,

Ralf

Reply to
Ralf Ballis

I would check with your city/county dump to see if they have a hazardous waste disposal site. I had to get rid of a tankful of gas (filled up with diesel one bleary morning lol) and here in Seattle they have a hazardous disposal site for paint, oil, gas, etc.

Reply to
kerfoker

This is one reason why old mechanics drive old and beat up trucks. You can mix crappy old gas 50/50 with fresh fuel and the truck will run on it. Ford 300/6 or Chevy 292/6 engines are about the best for this... I've gotten a fair amount of free gas from motorcycles and snowmobiles I've serviced after setting over the off season.

Tony

Reply to
Anthony W