Opinions Needed

Hi Guys:

I have posted some pictures of the Beetle as he sits at the moment on my site:(

) and was hoping that some people could have a look at them and offer possible guidance and suggestions as to what I need to do, what is good, bad or ugly about the Beetle....(finding another Beetle is NOT an option!)

Thanks,

Peter

Reply to
Pete Cressman

Baja?

"I can hammer it back into shape later."

Reply to
Shaggie

Well,..................Since I have never "restored" a beetle, I cannot be really specific on the what-all needs to be done. However, I can see some spots that are of concern, and would be reluctant to be restoration minded. BUT,..................A very nice daily driver could be had of the car in the pictures. Most of all , It needs to be stripped down to simple structure body , and evaluated more thoroughly. I can see the rust area on the driver side rear just above the running board is a great big "IF"............if you can muster the energy to deal with it , mostly.

The rest of the pictures don'.t show anything very nasty, that will be in any way difficult to deal with.

You are gonna need a donor vehicle for the rust spot mentioned above, unless you are VERY VERY talented with sheet metal, and/or have a friend who is.....................I was jamming around the Web a year and a half or so back, and found some NOS repair panels like what you will need for the body part, but I'd think you'll be needing some heater channel replacement to go with it. There are many ways to obtain parts for that.

From the pictures, once again, everything else looks to be of sound construction, needing a bump or a cleaning, a few things will have to be acquired to complete it, but it looks like you may have a chip or two to bargain with too.....................Anyone need a trailer hitch for their beetle????? ( Not sure of its usefulness , but someone might actually PAY you for that hitch if it's a beetle one)

All in All, A do-able restore.........................gonna need to put on your work clothes and attitude.

What happened to your employment at VW dealer?.............Still there? A good place to make acquaintance with parts cars at least I'd think.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

MUADIB®

MUADIB,

Thanks for your input....

I left VW about a month ago after getting fed up with the bullshit that surrounds the dealer life. Not only that, but the dealer was onvolved in some "questionable" business and I decided that it would be best to jump ship before things got really bad....example...the dealer owner had a Touareg as a demonstrater vehicle....he rear ended someone, caused $15,000 damage to the truck and had it rebuilt at a bodyshop without declaring that information to the guy he sold it to! In Canada, if a vehicle has recieved more than $5000 damage prior to retail sale, it must be declared to the first buyer....Guelph Volkswagen skipped this step....

I have bought all of the sheet metal needed to repair the rust seen on the car....there aren't many donor cars in the area that would be in condition even close to this car....

I look at John Henry's car, which was in somewhat worse shape when he bought it, and it now could rival any new Volkswagen on the showroom floor...my goal is nothing less with this car...however, being unemployed at the moment, that makes things somewhat difficult...

- Peter

If you don't, it's its.

and likewise yours

Reply to
Pete Cressman

Actually Pete, considering our conditions here (I live in London, Ont.) that beetle looks pretty good to me. My summer daily driver has similar issues and may on day be treated to a full resto.

Reply to
Michael Zeeb

Basically, this is what still needs to be done on the car:

(No Particular Order):

- Replace front shocks

- Replace all ball joints

- Replace sway bar bushings

- change transmission fluid

- install engine

- weld new quarter panels, rear apron and battery tray

- paint

- replace headliner, windsheild, and both driver and passenger side front door glasses

- install interior

- fill and flush brake system

- new brake shoes, springs and drums

That's about it for now....compared to the '69 that I had, this car doesn't need much...but it's getting the space and time to do it....and the money as well.....

Reply to
Pete Cressman