Ordering a new steering box for my Super, what else to get?

I want to get rid of the 1 1/2 inch steering play I currently have! Browsing the California Import Parts web site for a steering box, I found a lot of godies that seem related to the steering system for my '72 Super.

Here a few :

C16-113-979 - STEERING SHAFT BOOTS 71-74 SUPER BEETLE 2PC

VWC-113-425-117 - STEERING DAMPNER BUSHING ALL BEETLE 60-79

ACC-C10-4020 - PITMAN ARM H-D BRONZE BUSHING - SUPER BEETLE 71-72 (ANTI SHIMMY BUSHING)

VWC-113-415-441 - PITMAN ARM BUSHING - STOCK RUBBER STYLE REPLACEMENT - SUPER BEETLE 71-72

VWC-113-415-951-B - COMPLETE U-JOINT STEERING SHAFT SUPER BEETLE 71-74

What would you recommand I get with the NEW steering box? Steering dampner was changed 3 years ago along most bushings.

Thanks!

Reply to
Eric Desrochers

What bout your center tie rod (drag link) and left/right tie rods.. how are they? If they are poor that will help also..and since you have it apart already why not.. I would replace the steering box and the U joint shaft definitely, then check the quality of your tie rods and your ball joints.. I have replaced everything except the steering box/u joint shaft and it jsut gets better and better. After you install make sure you take it to an alignment shop and have them align it for you. Its well worth the money and wont take them anytime at all.

Jeremie

1972 SB
VdubBeetle1972

Don't forget the steering dampner

Reply to
Kafertoys

Hello. Funny you mention the center tie rod! Minutes after posting this message I went and got a shop look at my problem and we found the center tie rod indeed need replacing. I'll begin by replacing it, then check if the remaining of the loose can be further reduced by the steering box adjust screw. If it's not totally satisfactory, I'll replace the box and the U-joint shaft.

The dampner was replaced 3 years ago so I suppose it must still be useable?

Thanks for the reply!

Reply to
Eric Desrochers

Here's a web site with some front end advice:

http://www.t>

Reply to
COX