Original VW auto glass restoration suggestions??

Ramva,

I am in the process of putting my 60 ragtop back together and I am almost ready to put the glass back in the car. With exception to the front windshield, I will be using the original glass for my car. (vent wings, quarter glass, rear glass, etc)

My question is how can I make my original glass look new again. The glass had many years of hard water stains and haze than I want to remove and make my glass look like new. I think I will need to using a buffing polishing wheel on the end of my drill, but I am not sure on what compunds to use to take of the hard water stains without scratching the glass.

A couple years ago, an auto glass guy said to use "jeweler's rouge"??

Any info on this would be helpful.

This is for a show car, so It must look good!

Thanks

Andy

Dixon CA

Reply to
<1l75

I'm not sure about Autoglass but I recently restored a glass table top which had been used outside for a number of years and was stained from bore (ground) water and minerals deposits from pot plants In fact it looked more like a shadow-board where the pot had been sitting.

Anyway, I used a No 2 cutting polish which I've also used on my 78 Kombi's chalky rust stained paintwork. I worked in the shade and in small patches as per the instructions on the tin, also I used pieces of old towelling which I replaced regularly.

This removed all the major crap and then I detailed any cloudy spots with "Kerstens Original Chromglanz" which is a German (?) cleaning and polishing paste I use on Chrome work. It's basically a Jewlers Rouge or very fine abraasive paste for polishing metals, glass, & plastics.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

John (Smegggg - RedDwarf)

1978 Rusty Bay
Reply to
Smegggg (John)

I picked up a polishing powder (rouge maybe) from a local glass place. I mixed it with water to form a paste then used my dremel to polish out some fine scratches on some early pop-outs I got for my '60. It worked very well, as long as the scratches weren't too deep. Pay special attention around the logos though (I'm sure you already knew that :o) ).

B.C. Bugger