OT $100 calculator for school!?!?

WTF!?!?!? My 14-year-old daughter is taking Algebra I in public high school and they tell me that it is *required* that she have a TI graphing calculator ($93+tax at a local discount store) to pass the class. IN MY DAY we ate gruel for breakfast and then hiked uphill in the snow barefooted to school where we used a little thing called GRAPH PAPER to write on with our stubs of coal all the while not using any kind of fancy "calculator," then had a hearty lunch of lard sandwiches and raw turnips from the field, then hiked back home, uphill, in the sleet and did chores for about four hours before having a plate of potatoes and a smidgen of salt pork to go with our luke warm water for dinner AND WE LIKED IT, by cracky!

-- Travis (Shaggie) '63 VW Camo Baja...

corrodes the vessel that carries it.

Reply to
travis

Ben Boyle

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 21:02:22 -0400, "Ben Boyle" left Mt Vesuvius in a state of jealous awe as he began spewing from the mouth thusly:

Yes, it does seem excessive to me. I took Algebra I a little over 20 years ago and we really didn't even use calculators but I still remember the quadratic formula and would bet I could derive it from the ol' ax^2+bx+c=0 kinda thing. Blah. They have computers at school now. I think they should teach the kids how to use the computers to graph their functions. And I don't mean by using a pre-written graphing program. Write the program to do the graph. Time to *understand* the technology. Kids these days. I swear... In my day we didn't sit around graphing equations on our fancy calculator while smoking our crack pipe and getting our 11 year old girlfriend pregnant. We sat around graphing equations on our graph paper with our coal chunk while picking our teeth with a hickory twig and sipping moonshine. That's all I'm saying. Kids these days... Kids these days... Vote for me for President Of The United States and I'll "clean house."

-- Travis (Shaggie) '63 VW Camo Baja...

corrodes the vessel that carries it.

Reply to
travis

Careful Mr. Schwarzenegger...............they're catching onto your BS

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Reply to
MUADIB®

......................I'm paying $4500 Catholic high school tuition for our fifteen year old and a combined $22,000 for his brother and sister in college. Count your blessings.

..........Oh yeah.......I just bought a $150 pair of football shoes for our fifteen year old.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

I got through highschool trig honors fine with a cheapie $12 scientific... BUT, had I known what the TI-89's could do back then, I would have bought one. I still ended up buying one for college (required) - once you know how to use them they are invaluable.

--Eric

BugMan

No wonder you drive a bug....................LOL

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Reply to
MUADIB®

That calculator is worthwhile investment especially if they plan to attend college. I have a TI-83 and 86..pretty cool when you download games on them from the net. :-) Just something to keep yu busy while the professor is off on the tangent.

Jeremie

1972 SB
VdubBeetle1972

LOL At least you did not have a pocket protector and slide rule. :o) One of the finer things from school in the 70's that the kids don't get today is the paddle like we used to get if we forgot our gym clothes. Mr. O'Leary could swing a pretty mean paddle back in the old days. I am surprised that some doofus has not sued them 25 years later for repressed mental anguish.

Bill Berckman

67 Beetle Pictures at
Family Reunion Show Sept 21 2003 Cincinnati OH
Bill Berckman

I paid more than $100 dollars for a calculator I bought back in the mid-70's. I still use it today... but only with great fear. In the early 80's lent it to a crazy girlfriend who proclaimed to be a Dianic witch (hates men). In the aftermath of a bitter breakup she returned it to me wrapped in a pair of her red satin panties. Symbolic? Who knows... I told you she was crazy! Anyway, the next year I used this calculator to help prepare my income tax returns. You guessed it... the Feds called me in for an audit. It all worked out in the end; but a lesson was learned -- avoid crazy witches!! I now only use this calculating machine for trivial tasks:

Rich

Reply to
Rich

Watch out, she's only 14, and things WILL NOT GET BETTER! I Just dropped $420 for books my frosh year of college for 3 classes. One of the classes had close to 10 books that were more then $200 ALONE! I just about sh*t myself. But hey, its my future, and hopefully one day i can look back into the books, and get good info from them. The calc is a good investment. I never bought one, but i wish i did. My math classes though always offered ones in class. You could "check" them out for the period. ~peace~Justin

Reply to
Nxqzablesk8er

You mean you got to eat?!?!... damn you rich folk anyway!!!

Gazza

Are "silly furriners" allowed to vote too?

jan

Reply to
Jan

higher math classes in lower grade schools (not quality but grade IE 8th grade 9th grade etc..)

they no longer teach math. they teach How to use this electronic gadget to get math results.

sad

they were "just" starting this change when I went to college. I asked the professor. ok now you have showed me what buttons to push on this computer. now how do I do the problem.

he said well you follow the instructions. I said OK we just had a nuclear war and the EMP blew out every computer and calculator on the planet and to save the world I have to do this problem. How do I do it.

he was not humored by it. Neither was I.

I dropped that class and chose another next semester.

Chris Taylor

Chris Taylor Jr

No wonder we never wanted kids.

Randy

RSMEINER

Today they spare the rod (because they will be fired,sued and jailed), and spoil the child. Our gym teacher definately did use real wood. You knew it when you heard the crack as it made contact with someones butt.

Bill Berckman

67 Beetle Pictures at
Family Reunion Show Sept 21 2003 Cincinnati OH
Bill Berckman

On 20 Aug 2003 14:26:54 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comSPAMOUT (Bill Berckman) left Mt Vesuvius in a state of jealous awe as he began spewing from the mouth thusly:

I knew it when I felt the contact it made on my butt. :-/

-- Travis (Shaggie) '63 VW Camo Baja...

corrodes the vessel that carries it.

Reply to
travis

Besides the cost high costs of books, I was reading an article that said that kids in college dorms today are expecting and getting such amenities such as maid service and priviate bathrooms. I guess the kids of non affluent parents still have to make their own beds. This trend for luxurious dorms sounds like class envy in the making for the students who still have to share a bathroom with 40 other dorm residents. It said some kids have never had to share a bathroom in their life, and don't want to start now. When I was a student in the dorm at Eastern Kentucky University, they did not even have doors on the bathroom stalls in the shared floor bathroom, and the dial phone of course did not have voice mail. If you wanted to take a priviate shower, you had to do it at 3a.m. Bill Berckman

67 Beetle Pictures at
Family Reunion Show Sept 21 2003 Cincinnati OH
Bill Berckman

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 17:26:38 GMT, Gregg H left Mt Vesuvius in a state of jealous awe as he began spewing from the mouth thusly:

I agree 100%. Or was that 99%? Where'd I put that calculator!?!? :-P

-- Travis (Shaggie) '63 VW Camo Baja...

corrodes the vessel that carries it.

Reply to
travis

well you had one of the rare good teachers.

Most teachers are very cool to me but math teachers always seemed to be a problem for some reason (laziness etc..)

Chris Taylor

Chris Taylor Jr