OT: Any free News Server out there?

The one I'm currently using is going to start charging....

Reply to
Mel P.

and others on this group have been using it for years. Works great,less filling.

Reply to
Shag

I second that! Great service.

-- Howard Rose

1966 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe 1962 Austin Mini Deluxe 1964 Austin Mini Super Deluxe
(cars and email on website)
Reply to
Howard Rose

There should be an e-mail in your in-box which begins:

Dear users of News.Individual.NET,

effective from April 1th, 2005, use of News.Individual.NET will not be free of charge anymore. The news service will continue as a fee-based service.....

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Oh? In that case: Uh oh. :-)

Reply to
Shag

Reply to
Ben Boyle

year. I just bit the bullet and am going

I'm considering doing the same thing myself. I'm not sure if I could sleep well at night knowing I was depriving all of you of my commentary. ;-)

Reply to
Shag

Uh oh indeed! Any other free alternatives? Apart from Google, I want to read my mail in Agent.

-- Howard Rose

1966 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe 1962 Austin Mini Deluxe 1964 Austin Mini Super Deluxe
(cars and email on website)
Reply to
Howard Rose

I could use the news server at work, but from past experience I'm very aware that's not a good idea. Hmm... I should probably just use the news server that my ISP (road-runner) has. How do you get online, Howard? I mean does your ISP not offer a news server?

Reply to
Shag

There are quite a few "free" public servers. They don't all carry all groups and not all permit posting. But worth a search.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

They are now a pay service starting March 1 I believe.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

if you need one, I have one... just a very small amount of groups, but this is one of them.

I can give away some small number of accounts to regulars, send me an email.

(the server is in Santiago, chile, but if you were posting through germany and living with it, its not going to be that much different :)

Reply to
Eduardo K.

Wait a minite; I thought the "news servers" were software on your computer. No? I'm using talkaboutautos.com to access these (for free), but it's not great (reply field is blank for instance) so I was expecting to find a good "news server" myself soon. Also, dosen't Outlook have that function too? Of course, that will be useless when I start using my linix machine... ~ Paul aka "Tha Driver"

ThaDriver

You seem to be confusing the terms news server with news reader or news client. The news servers are similar to email servers or web servers - you connect to them and download information to your computer using the appropriate client software.

When Comcast dropped their news servers and told all of us loyal TCI/ATT/@Home cable subscribers to go screw ourselves many people just went to the suggested Giganews.com for their news feed. I saw it coming and had an account with Individual.net for about a year earlier. Now that they've gotten greedy I've switched to Teranews.com. It is free although they require a $4 sign up fee.

Reply to
Michael Cecil

Six Euro's a year is hardly greedy , esp considering they've been free for ages & mop up all the debris from all the other news dropouts.

James

Reply to
Juper Wort

I do have a newserver with my ISP (Telewest/blueyonder.co.uk), but it's not very reliable. Plus, I also have Agent installed on my laptop so I can read RAMVA in my lectures using the campus wireless... tee hee!

-- Howard Rose

1966 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe 1962 Austin Mini Deluxe 1964 Austin Mini Super Deluxe
(cars and email on website)
Reply to
Howard Rose

Individual.net is not going to be free anymore, according to them, as of next april, only fee based service. That's the one I'm using right now, so I also got to go get a new one.

Karls

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

Wonder why they haven't told me about that.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

They say that if you had an account before they changed from DFN to Individual.net that you won't be dropped come April fools day. Of course, I had such an account but they asked me to switch to Individual.net at one point so I wouldn't count on DFN being free forever either.

Reply to
Michael Cecil

Ah okay then. I'm one of the old customers.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson