OT: First car

Sold it when I desperately needed money for rent deposit (Lost a rental apartment in the city and needed to find another fast, and I was broke as usual). This was in the mid 90's

I spent around 10k on the car, and sold it for 2k. Broke my heart too.

I hear my friends have seen it in a city not far from where I live.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

snipped-for-privacy@xyzzy.stafford.net (jjs) wrote in news:john-2802041002480001@m-0-

135.docsis.hbci.com:

61 Beetle. A hand-me-down from gf's brother...use it as long as you need it, he said. Gave it back and he drove it till it dissolved in rust in the late 70s.
Reply to
cloud8

yeah fun car.... : )

wierd though.... front wheel drive or 4 wheel drive, and the E-brake was connected to the front wheels. i had to replace the outside boots on the "cv joint" what a pain... however the inside, IIRC was just a big splined "cup" looking thing that slid on to the piece sticking out of the transaxle with a huge drift pin.

now that would be a trick mod... using the Leone driveline under a beetle body making it 4 wheel drive.. would take some work but i think it could be done... lol

--

**************************************************************** dragenwagen 1966 Type I - Daily Driver 1969 Type I - Undergoing heater channel replacement
"Old VW's Don't Leak Oil, They Mark Thier Territory."****************************************************************

................Yeah, that's him alright...........hanging out with Hanoi Jane

.....................Jeeeez..............You learned to drive with a

356?.........
Reply to
Tim Rogers
65 Beetle ... header exhaust, Hurst shifter, "custom" carpet (leftovers from the new carpet in the house), and a wood rimmed steering wheel. Bought it for $1.00 from my dad (had to make it legal to transfer the title ... paid 6 cents sales tax to the state!)

Reply to
Erik Dillenkofer

I recently bought my second Subaru Van, the E12 Domingo.. (Run a google search). I had one already that I'm currently driving every day.

This second one was too cheap to pass..

These are 4 wheel drive, or Rear wheel drive when 4wd is disconnected, handbrake is connected to rear wheels... and it'r Rear engined too!

THAT if anything would be suitable for a beetle conversion.

3 cylinder, 70hp 1200cc engine. Quite peppy actually, it's a lightweight van. Only a little heavier than a beetle.

Wonder if the drivetrain could handle a 2007 race engine... hmm...

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Reply to
Ben Boyle

my first car was my '66 Beetle which I bought in late May 1998. I still have it :-)

-- Howard Rose '66 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe '62 Austin Mini Deluxe '64 Austin Mini Super Deluxe

Howard Rose

oh yeah the subaru domingo...lol I remember those when i was stationed in japan... almost bought one, but i got the leone instead... it was a 1983 and it was in beautiful shape!

--

**************************************************************** dragenwagen 1966 Type I - Daily Driver 1969 Type I - Undergoing heater channel replacement
"Old VW's Don't Leak Oil, They Mark Thier Territory."****************************************************************"
Reply to
dragenwagen

"dragenwagen" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

Not sure of the year, but it was an Opel Manta, bought in 1984. Yellow with black strips and sport wheels. Drove it for two years, rebuilt motor, replaced transmission and a couple starters. Spent about as much time looking at the underside of the car as I did behind the wheel.

Reply to
TerryB