OT: Gotta Love those '60s Beetles - no "Black Box" recording drivving habits

Was talking after a strategy meeting at work, and while we were discussing some of the information sources for a network centric future somebody mentioned the "black boxes" in current vehicles that have sometimes been confiscated and checked after an accident to check and see what sort of driving was exhibited shortly before a crash. It was fun to be able to say "my car doesn't have that"... and then counter their challenge by stating that I drive a mid-60s Beetle.

It should be no surprise to anyone that the keynote speaker from the meeting piped up and started fondly talking about the bug HE had years ago... a

66... and how he used to race them in Germany... Everybody has a bug story!
Reply to
KWW

Hell, I used to race VW's in Germany. Dirt flat tracks near Mannheim and Heidelberg. Was a blast. Remember rolling a Ghia up the bank and back down, and stll made it in for 2nd place. Drove a different car after that. The roll cage bent down 6 inches right next to me head...*8-} Of course this was back in 1972.

-- the Grokdoc Tom Malmevik all that groks is god

67 Baja "marti"
Reply to
Thomas Malmevik

I read that GM cars already have a black box of sorts in the ABS module. It stores the vehicle speed once per second for the last five seconds. One was used in a court case for a guy that rammed a car with a couple of teenage girls (can't remember if either were killed or not). The guy indicated he was going like 40 in a 25 zone. When they dumped the data from the ABS module, they found that, in fact, he had been going around 100 mph in the last second before deployment.

Reply to
Malcolm

Can they detect the presence of make-up being applied? Or sticking your head under the dash to retrieve something? I avoid more collisions from things like that.

-Ray

PS - Maybe I should do my make up at home? :-D

Reply to
Ray Dios Haque

If I remember right this happened in canada, and the guy was accelerating, not braking.

Reply to
Micah Gorrell