OT: Hurricane Katrina

There is a monster stirring up the Gulf of Mexico. We are watching this one closely as it is a CAT 5 packing 160 MPH winds gusts up to 175 MPH. This one is going to be like Camelle or Andrew I'm thinking... nasty storms. I am going to ride it out in the shelter... should be one hell of a ride. Any one in the New Orleans area... get out!

Reply to
dragenwagen

Down here we had a nasty cold front yesterday. 70mm of rain in couple of hours flooded the city completly.

Non stop newsflashes show Santiago's rivers all overflowing...

We are expecting another cold front for tonight. another 60mm of rain.

Its nice to live in a nice, flat neighbourhood that does not flood.

Reply to
Eduardo K.

..................If there's enough elevation, sure, flat is nice. If it's flat like New Orleans and also below sea level, there's no place for the water to escape when it's all over. Could be very bad there in a worst case scenario in the next few days. What's bothering me about what I've been hearing is that it's already too late to get everybody out of there by tomorrow morning.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

by flat I mean a small grade. I live 1600ft above sea level. 100 miles from the sea. The complicated neighborhoods are in a higher part of town that goes from 2200 ft to 3500ft in 2 or 3 miles so water flows very rapidly and does not want to stay in the rivers...

lower part of town is 1500ft and west of where I live. I bougth the house aftersome research as you can see :)

anyway, good luck with katrina.... I still have to get to work tomorrow and for that I need to travel a tunnel that runs 2.5 miles UNDER the largest river in the city :)

Reply to
Eduardo K.

Hurricanes aren't so bad... but cleaning up afterwards is hard work and depressing and lets you know that nature is boss. I've done it once and never want to do it again. Good luck to all of you in its path.

Reply to
User Example

If you've ever been through a Cat 3 or larger hurricane you wouldn't say that. Hurricanes can be hell on earth. I would not want to be anywhere near a Cat 5 storm. Nothing is worth sitting through that and praying that you survive for hours on end.

Reply to
ccr

In texas we'll see some rain likely, but our thoughts are with those that will have to deal with the storms for the time expected.........they're talking several hours of major hurrican type weather. They're saying that it's likely to be almost uninhabitable in parts of the area it hits, for as many as several weeks.

once again, our thoughts are with you in LA.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

If A Quiz is Quizical, What is a test?

The Peacemaking Meeting scheduled for today has been cancelled due to a conflict.

Reply to
MUADIB®

I just saw the news. Gulfport is getting hit with 145 mph (steady!) winds. They haven't had it this bad since Camille in 1970, I don't think. I have distant relatives down that way. The Big Easy is getting hit, but they're not getting hit with the worst of it!

Charles of Kankakee

Reply to
n5hsr

I wouldn't bother if it were not your Sig - spelling error - it is "Quizzical" :)

Reply to
Lorem Ipsum

Report: "Total structural failure"

The National Weather Service said it had received many reports of "total structural failure" in the New Orleans metro area. It did not elaborate.

source:

Shag

A bit more local to the area:

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

The Superdome or whatever it is in New Orleans is leaking. They have standing water all over there, Levees have failed.

The storm was so powerful that it's creating havoc as far away as Tuskaloosa, Alabama. The 6 counties in the neck of Mississippi: (Harrison, Jackson, Hancock, Stone, Pearl River and George) along with the neighboring parishes in Louisiana appear to have taken the most direct hit, with the path of the eye going right through Hancock and Pearl River counties. They are expecting hurricane force winds as far north as MEMPHIS. I used to live south of Memphis. I can't imagine 75 mph winds in Helena Arkansas or at Graceland, either.

Charles of Kankakee

Reply to
n5hsr

Reduced to cat 2 when it hit.. According to Euronews..

J.

Ps. The superdome has slight damage to the outher(sp?) skin only, shown on telly up here.

Hope you all are well.

J.

Reply to
P.J. Berg

I just watched the local news and they had coverage from inside of the dome. There are several holes all the way through the roof. They can see the sky from inside, and there's quite a bit of leaking going on. Looked like the holes were several feet long by a few feet wide. Still though, it looks like it's gonna hold up just fine overall. They also said (FWIW) that "many analysts" are predicting increases in gas prices form 15-25 cents a gallon or more by tomorrow as a result of all of this. I think they said that right now the average in the US is $2.61/gallon. I just filled up and it was $2.559 per gallon just down the road from me. Lucky for me that I have that air-cooled vehicle out there that gets a little better than 40 mpg.

Reply to
Shag

By GUM You're right!!!!

I'm not that stupid, I just don't read what I write very well. Terrible proofreader..........Changing it now,....See new Sig.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

If A Quiz is Quizzical, What is a test?

The Peacemaking Meeting scheduled for today has been cancelled due to a conflict.

Reply to
MUADIB®

I live in North Alabama just east of I65 on the Morgan/Cullman county lines. Last night was a real hand ringer. We have had a couple Canes in the last year or two that have come right over the area where I live and while they were pretty rough, last night took the cake. Kat was centered over the Mississippi Line from Bama and the winds were HOWLING all night long. My 8yr old daughter was in pieces all night, as storms of any kind just stress her out badly. I can not imagine being at the shore as Kat came in yesterday. She must have made a few hearts stop where the eye came in. I looked over the house this morning and I have a few shingles missing and about a foot of my ridge vent shingles are in the back yard as well. Yard looks like a bomb went off in the trees. Leaves and nice size limbs are laying everywhere. I have an all brick house and it would creek and groan on the end where the wind was blowing/howling for hours on end. I suppose I will need to go up in the attic and check to be sure some of my roof decking did not try to separate from the trusses.

That had to of been the worst night I have ever spent during a storm. I really feel for the people who live farther south of me. I know they had it very bad!

Reply to
TerryB

As a survior of Ivan last year I can tell you from the video and photos and horror stories from survivors ,that Katrina makes Ivan look like a summer breeze. This is bad beyond anything that the average person can imagine. This hurricane will be the bench mark for all future hurricanes as far as destruction. I contacted two members from the Imaginary Bug Club in New Orleans via cell phone and they had evacuated the night before. They expressed concern for the people that stayed behind and truly expect to find nothing left when they are allowed to return. I can not contact Ed Thompson from the Mississippi Gulf Coast Club, Dragenwagen, or Doug that owns Jus' Bugs VW Restoration and Parts out of Pass Christian , Miss. If any one has heard from them please let me know. Pray for these people and the other thousands that are going through hell as we live in comfort . There is a very large VW Community all along the Gulf Coast .....wish them well.

Be Cool.....AIRCOOLED !!

"Wild" Bill Tucker

President Rare Air VW Club Pensacola, Florida

'78 VW Bus ( "Old Rusty" )

'76 Bug "The Grape"

'69 Squareback , Arizona car, Automatic

Rare Air VW Club Website:

or

Wild Bill Tucker

Are you OK?

Charles of Kankakee

Reply to
n5hsr

glad you didn't lose more than a few shingles terry. Thoughts again to all that are enduring the cleanup.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

If A Quiz is Quizzical, What is a test?

The Peacemaking Meeting scheduled for today has been cancelled due to a conflict.

Reply to
MUADIB®

Wish I could report those miniscule damages for our people at the Gulf. Now for the next wave of problems. Seems that Gasoline flow has been pretty much shut off from the Gulf area and several stations are running out of gas as far north as Huntsville and prices are soaring. Several places around are already over $3 per gallon Regular grade.

This cane is going to be felt for many months and over many states.

Reply to
TerryB