OT: I bought a Smart ForTwo !

Hi all!

Just thought I'd let you in on the last vehicle purchase, last week I took the train down to Stavanger to pick up my 2000 Smart ForTwo Passion Cabrio(Phew, long name!). Drove it the 600Km's home in seven-7 hours flat..

The transmission takes some getting used to, except for that, this most be the most ingenious car around!! Should have gotten one long ago, parking is a bitch were I live, this one you park with the front or rear to the curb, legally!!

If you are curious:

P.J.Berg.

Reply to
P.J. Berg

Yes, but is it aircooled? 8>)>>

Reply to
Bob Johnson

Hey, PJ! If you are smart, why ain't ya rich?

Reply to
Lorem Ipsum

Yup, the air cools the radiator and intercooler... :o)

J.

Reply to
P.J. Berg

Over this I have pondered many a times, in fact so much I've pulled all my hair out! Yes, that's right, that's why I'm bald! :o)

J.

Reply to
P.J. Berg

Me too.

I have yet to look, but the USA is really not friendly to the small cars we could really use. Many of the tiny European models are banned here. So, lemmie look around here for the Smart Car.

Very glad you got one!

Reply to
Lorem Ipsum

Thanks John. They are officially imported into Canada, and could point you to a forum over there if of any interest.

Jørn.

Reply to
P.J. Berg

I've had one of these for over 3 years now, and in some ways it has been a good little car. Does remind me a lot of my Beetle days, in that there is a large "scene" and feelings about them are quite polarised. Oh, and the fact that the engine is in the back!

However, I have found mine in particular to have cost me an awful lot of cash over the years as various things have gone wrong, and they are not cheap to repair. The last thing was a new clutch, which required removal of the rear panel, exhaust and most engine ancilliaries, driveshafts and gearbox. The clutch plate is then in a single unit with the flywheel (170 UKP!)

Yes they are ingenious, but I am tiring of the gearbox now (yours will be a second generation though, which is very much better in that department) and the complexity. I am wondering whether to move it on and go back to an old, simple, aircooled VW...

-- Colin Swan

Reply to
Colin Swan

I was looking for low mileage as the most important factor when I choose what car to buy, mine only has 26000Km on the meter.. I was originally looking at one which had 17500Km on the meter but it was sold before I got to it..

J.

Reply to
P.J. Berg

Well, according to Smart, the clutch should last over 29000 miles, and mine got to 43000 before it really became so annoying that I just had to get it done!

If yours is second-hand, it may not be a 2nd generation, although if you are in Canada, I think imports may have only started then. Ways to tell are the logo on the bonnet (hood), which is a raised "C" with a triangle on 2nd gen (commonly known as the "chicken head") rather than a sticker saying "smart", a 700cc rather than a 600cc engine and a hill start feature that holds the footbrake on for a few seconds.

Hope you like it, plenty of people love them :-)

-- Colin Swan

Reply to
Colin Swan

Have you seen this site:

Mainly UK based, but there are some members from around the world. Busy message boards, and some good advice.

-- Colin Swan

Reply to
Colin Swan

Mine is a 2000 599cc, and yes I have found the Smart club, one of many good sites on the net. I'm in Norway... :o)

J.

Reply to
P.J. Berg