OT: I may have found my next project.

Wish me luck!

'78 CJ7 with 304 and 3-speed manual. Stock tires, wheels, axles, xfer case. 7-month-old paint job. Recently rebuilt tranny including new clutch and associated parts. Hard top, no soft top. "Everything works." It's 15 minutes away from me. Going to meet the guy tomorrow.... *crossing fingers*

-- Travis

meek shall inherit the earth. After I'm finished with it.:wq!

Reply to
travis

If yer gonna get a '78 CJ7 you might as well get a f'ing Cadilac ElDorado! I thought you were serious about this! CJ7? C'mon... You never read my response to you last week did you? CJ7? You want to go jeeping or street driving? Do you want something that will at least go where your Baja went? Even a CJ5 can't get where you're Baja could go. Sure there are places that just need 4WD, but serious off-roading requires a vehicle with finesse! (Yeah, something my writing doesn't have) You haven't a clue what off-roading is until you've been on a jeep run with a serious jeeper in a flat-fender jeep. M-38 (not M-38A1), CJ-3, CJ-3A, or CJ-3B (but I prefer NOT to have the high hood due to limited visibility) or even a CJ-2A. They simply "fit" where a CJ-5 or anything since AMC or Chrysler can't go! At least check it out before you buy the damned lamosine! I suppose if you get the CJ7 you'll have a driver, too? Don't you have a 4x4 truck? You really ought to take those skills you started to hone on the LCB and continue the same general "feel" with a REAL JEEP! This is worse than "chopper gun!" CJ7?

High-hood version offlatfender jeeps.
The WW2 MB's & GPW's are theoriginals (Bantams excepted!)
Look at the photo onthis one. THAT's a jeep!
Some goodgeneral info but specializes in larger vehicles. Find a Jeep Club in your area that caters to bobtail rigs (No Wagons, No SUV's, No CJ-6, 7, or other BS street rides!) Go for a ride with someone in a flat fender jeep or even a real CJ5 (Kaiser or Willys)

Sorry for the rant, but I really think after following your exploits all this time I know what you really want and it aint a CJ7!

- Busahaulic

travis wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

axles, xfer

including new

"Everything

guy

Reply to
Busahaulic

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 02:27:41 GMT, "Busahaulic" shared the following:

Yes, I read your response and I also read about 1500 posts on the Jeep newsgroup and about 300 pages so far out of 3 Jeep manuals I bought. According to what I've read, a '78 (late '77-'79, actually) CJ7 is absolutely considered to be one of the best Jeeps ever made as far as off-roading is concerned.

You get one guess.

Dude, I've had a CJ8 that was still in 2WD tow the LCB out of mud puddles before. Get real.

Excuse me?

The majority of my offroading time is not spent on ATV trails. Yes, I've been there and gone as far as scraping the entire door handle off of the passenger side of my baja, but that's not the kind of offroading I normally do. Not only that, but if you look into after-market parts, the '76+ CJs have much more available. Starting in late '77 they started using disc brakes up front, too. The later CJ-7's like the one I'm looking at also have fully boxed frames and are much more solid than the older CJ-2/3 stuff out there. I'm not jumping into this. I've been reading. I'm also not saying you don't know what you're talking about. I appreciate the input, but I'm not making a 100% uninformed choice here.

OK, OK. Settle down, Beavis. Time to refill that prescription. I'm going to check it out tomorrow and test drive it. I'm not gonna plunk down any $ until I've put it to the Shag test. (no, that doesn't involve the tailpipe...don't go there... ;-)

No. I have a 2WD '86 F-150 that I plan on putting up for sale soon when I buy a Jeep. Wanna buy it?

I'm sorry you have no faith in my judgement in a vehicle. I think I made a good choice with the '63 VW and I think that if you'll sit back, pop a Prozac and chug a couple of beers and continue to monitor the Jeep website that I'm on the verge of adding real content to (see signature) that you may change your opinion a little bit. Or...not.

Well again, thanks for the input, but if I had $ to bet on what I want in a Jeep then I'd probably bet on what I said rather than what you said since um... I'm me. And it's me that's going to make the purchase. And me who worked to earn the money to make the purchase. And me who has spent countless hours on the crapper reading about what is good and what is bad about Jeeps so that I know exactly what it is that I want. No hard feelings, but I'm going to buy what I want rather than what you think I want. We'll see how it turns out. Hopefully it will turn out as well as my last offroad-vehicle purchase. Best regards,

-- Travis

meek shall inherit the earth. After I'm finished with it.:wq!

Reply to
travis

Actually ifn he wanted to REALLY go and do some serious offroadn he would git a railbuggy. But I recone he ain't ready fer that... yet... Maybe he's building up to it... Buggies will out do jeeps any day or night of the week... They're just a tad chilly in the winter... ;-]

BTW just heard about a buggy driver that went over a cliff in southern Ohio. Parked the buggy at the edge of a cliff. When he got back in I recone he 'forgot' it was in reverse. Floored it to show off and over he went. Musta thought it was in 1st... 120ft on the first drop and 100ft on the second. Not much left I hear.

Keep a eye on whatcher doin out there on the trails ifn ya go...

Reply to
(O\|/O)(.\~/.)

At least He'll be able to drive his CJ7 around the circumference of a silver dollar ........................LOL

They do have a tight turning radius for a 4X4

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Reply to
MUADIB®

Travis, I'm sorry. Yes, I guess I don't know very damned much about commercialization. I guess I also don't know much about leading the blind or opening people's minds to options they otherwise might not have considered. I guess it's my aproach. I don't say stuff like "Talk to the hand" (or whatever it was) but seem to rub people just as wrong with my comments. Wish you luck? Sure. Good Luck. Maybe they've got some chopper-gun body replacement parts for CJ7's too! Whatever. No harm was intended and if I didn't actually care, I certainly would not have taken the time to write.

axles, xfer

including new

"Everything

guy

Reply to
Busahaulic

WOW. You know, they really do make several very tasty brands of DECAF coffee these days...

Reply to
Patrick

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 21:50:24 -0400, travis shared the following:

I made him an offer... I should know tonight around 6:30 whether or not I'm gonna get this one. It started right up (sounds wicked with the headers and glasspacks) and ran great. I got to test-drive it. Very torquey! Burned out (with the guy's permission) in 4WD (low range) in his back yard to be sure I saw chunks of lawn fly from all four tires. I did. *grin* There are some minor things wrong with it like broken speedo glass cover and the floor pans have been patched, and not very well, but it's stuff I can fix. Yeah, the paint is not bad, but it's just bad enough that I'd want to repaint it myself... Hmm... It has just enough dings and road rash that I wouldn't hesitate to take it offroad and drag it against some trees and through some mud... and take pictures of it all, of course... :-D

-- Travis

meek shall inherit the earth. After I'm finished with it.:wq!

Reply to
travis

...............Those hot-rod jeeps are so unusual and exciting and..............yawn...............zzzzzz......snore........huh......snort. ........uh..........where was I?

.......Oh yeah, sounds great Travis!

timmy :-)

Reply to
Tim Rogers

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 18:41:42 GMT, "Tim Rogers" shared the following:

psst- Don't tell him I told you so, but Gareth was browsing the online Jeep ads earlier today... :-O

-- Travis

meek shall inherit the earth. After I'm finished with it.:wq!

Reply to
travis

I will be honest and say that I have been considering a CJ-7 myself. Or something along those lines. Just as long as it's not another friggen cherokee.

Randy

RSMEINER

On 15 Oct 2003 21:46:02 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comIdiot (RSMEINER) shared the following:

*rubs hands together evilly* Soon... Soon it will be time to change the name of this newsgroup... Join the dark side... JOIN THE DARK SIDE!!! ;-) I'm waiting on the callback... any second now... to find out if the owner accepted my offer.... RING, PHONE!!! RING!!!

-- Travis

meek shall inherit the earth. After I'm finished with it.:wq!

Reply to
travis

.......................You have to be eliminated.

..........Yes.............eliminated............This subversion has to be stopped.

......................May the Gods of Fweem smite you on your pointy little head with a thunderbolt from the stinger of the now forsaken LCB.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 20:50:21 -0400, "Tim Rogers" shared the following:

Hey, there are people much more sick than myself. Case in point:

THE. CRACK. PIPE. DOWN.

-- Travis

meek shall inherit the earth. After I'm finished with it.:wq!

Reply to
travis

......................You should get the pink lowered one with the hood scoop and wooden bumper.

........It's you.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Can that be more wrong? Hmmm.. a strech limo turned into a 6WD, jacked-up mud bogger? Yeah.. that's the ticket... and my wife.. uh.. morgan fairchild.. could ride in the back.. yeah, that's what happened..

Reply to
David Gravereaux

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 21:11:49 -0400, "Tim Rogers" shared the following:

Only if you throw in your extra big tip for me to use to make it all complete. *batting eyelashes*

-- Travis

meek shall inherit the earth. After I'm finished with it.:wq!

Reply to
travis

Yeah, I can see where you will fit right in with them.

Randy

RSMEINER

..................A jeep with fweem?

:-)

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Gareth posted something earlier about closing the deal on a 78 CJ7 in North Carolina. He was waiting on a phone call from the guy. Something about a bidding war with someone else trying to buy it. :o)

I remember back around 77 or so, my neighbor had a 74 CJ5 that I drove a couple of times. It was a 258 AMC 6 Cyl with a 3 speed and a big steering wheel with no power steering.

That same year when I turned 16, one of the cool guys from school got a brand new 77 CJ7. His parents paid for it. This was decked out with nice wheels and all, and seems like it cost around $6000, which for 1977 probably made him have the most expensive car of anyone in our class. I remember he had a couple of pot leaf stickers on the sides of both front fenders. I used to ride my bike home for lunch (still have the bike) When riding back to school, this guy would always buzz by in his Jeep with the stereo blaring. I was so jealous back then. Hopefully this guy is bald and fat now. :o)

Bill Berckman

67 Beetle Pictures at
VW/Porsche Family Reunion Show 2003 Pictures
Bill Berckman