OT Kids and computers

My 9-year-old son, Billy, asked if he could use the computer to search the web for information about using a cactus for electricity. I asked him if he knew how to search the web and he said yes. He went to yahooligans.com and started searching. He didn't find any good information so I showed him how to seach an online encyclopedea. We found an article about cacti and there was a link on the page to print it. Clicked the link and it wanted us to sign up for some crap so I told him I'd teach him how to cut and paste. I started to show him how to highlight the text and he interrupted me. I told him to just listen a minute and then showed him how to highlight the text, then right-click and then click "copy." Then we opened up Notepad and I said "Now, I click 'edit' and then 'paste.' See how it pasted in the stuff we just highlighted? Neat, huh?" He said "Yeah. You could have pressed ctrl-v to paste it instead, though." *ahem* I'm glad I was able to help clear up the whole cut-and-paste thing for him. I'm not looking forward to the day when I explain the birds-and-the-bees to him... I might be in for a shock. Hell, I might even learn something. :-)

Reply to
Shaggie

Psssst: pass it on buddy ;) Never too late for this old dog to learn new tricks :D

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Umm... ahem.. No need. Any new tricks and it could very well kill me.

K. "So tonight I'll ask the stars above, how did I ever win your love? What did I do? What did I say to turn your angel eyes my way?"

Reply to
Kidd Andersson

Shaggie wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I don't know about cactus, but down the road at MIT they've been making electricity from spinach.

cloud8

Done it with potatos when I was a kid.

Make electricity that is.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Jan Andersson wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@rocketcom.mail:

Oh so that's what potatoes are for.

I tried to make vodka out of potatoes when I was a kid. YECCH!! I couldn't get enough down to find out whether it contained any alcohol. So the next thing I made was a fake ID.

Reply to
cloud8

Shaggie wrote: > *clip* ... He said "Yeah. You could

This reminds me of the one or two times I asked for help from my dad on some math assignment. After those two times it was quite clear to me that I will never do that mistake again. He was a bit rusty on the math department, but very eager to finish the task. I saw the light on the assignments after some time and was ready to do them on my own again, but dad insisted on finishing them himself and I had to wait and watch... Yeah, dad. You are great, but not necessarily in maths.

However. I love my dad ;)

Reply to
Olli Lammi

Reply to