OT... kinda-Everybody step up

Max Welton, 46, software engineer First car: 1968 Datsun 510 First VW: 1970 Cabrio Current VWs: 1963 based baja winter (mostly local) driver, 1967 Karmann Ghia coupe summer (frequently interstate) driver, Early-70s (parts from various years) chop-top squareback project

A few months ago, I sold my Ford Ranger, so I am now 100% aircooled.

Max

Reply to
Max Welton

Hi.First car was a 58 Olds.First ACVW was a 63 Bug,both when I was

Reply to
Ilambert

I'm Charlie, 51 yoa and a happy empty nester. My first bug was a 56 oval ragtop, purchased for $50 in 1970. That one led to a progression of four bugs through the 70's, until I lost interest. I've been back into them for about three years now. The current ride is a 1971 Super with a completely stock exterior (all chrome and rubber good and the paint looks good from about 20'). It's something of a sleeper, with a turbo'ed 2110. I'm still toying with the idea of putting this motor in a Cal-look 66 or earlier, or just leaving it the way it is and surprising the occasional ricer (getting harder, they are getting to know me). My other car is a Volvo S80; it may be faster than the bug but it isn't nearly as much fun to drive around town. I do most of the work myself, with help from a body who works at the local aircooled shop.

Reply to
Charlie Wilson

David : age 35 Postal worker my 1st car was a 74 Ventura (Pontiac version of the nova)

1st VW is a 69 full length dune buggy (Tuff Tub) bought it 2.5 years ago 2nd VW is a 68 full length dune buggy (Tuff Tub) bought it 1.5 years ago for my wife pictures can be seen at
other "toys" 1985 Elcamino (soon to have the 305 replaced with a 455 ) 1971 Duster (13000 original miles) 1966 Cadillac Deville convertible
Reply to
David

An Interesting side note,...............look at this as these are all cars of the "Nova" body style N ova O mega V entura A pollo

Reading the first letter in each spelling downward........... Cool huh? Think they did that on purpose????? I do.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

MUADIB®

Hi Gary ;)

My Name is Jan, my first car was a 74 beetle and currently I have

66 vw bus 67 vw bug 67 vw bug rolling pan 68 vw bug convertible 79 Mazda 626 sedan 80 Mazda 626 sedan 81 Mazda 626 sedan 86 Subaru Leone 4wd turbowagon 89 Subaru Domingo 4wd van

and I'm 31.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Age: 40 First car: 63 beetle my parents never used, so I sorta got it by default. It died a horrible death when the parents lent it to a friend. I've owned numerous other vehicles over the years, including a 68 beetle that was so rusted out I ended up tying the headlights onto the bumper after they had rusted out. Same car had windshield wipers die while I was in University and too poor to buy parts so I used bailing string to tie to the wipers and make them move manually. Scared the hell out of my mother in law when we were drinving that car and ot a 72 body with no motor for $50 bucks and moved the motor over. Those two cars got us through a lot of years for almost nothing other than the price of an Idiot book.

Now I have my parents '72 camperized van that I got near the end of my University days. Parents said it was mine if I could make it work and get it out of the driveway. I've driven it off and on, but now I have lots of money and no time to work on it. I've done a lot of body work on it, as they hadn't kept the body in very good shape. Welded new metal in the engine compartment where the battery sits, as well as the wheel wells and sliding door. Still to do on it? Well, the big tube from the heater boxes to the front is basically gone, there's an oil leak that I can't for the life of me figure out, accelerator pedal has a door hinge keeping it in place, sliding door channel on the bottom is very rusty and needs to be redone somehow. Sure hope one day I'll have time to get all this done up right. I now have a house with 2 carports and a big shop out back.

I turn up here every couple of years, some times for longer than others. Usually when I turn up, it's a harbinger of questions to come on how to best deal with the Van :)

Reply to
Zaphod Beeblebrox

Nice to meet you Gary. I'm Dave, 55 years old and retired after 33 years at Case Corp.(J.I.Case). My first car was a '59 Beetle. My present *fleet* consists of...

1952 Oldsmobile Super 88 (Granddads car) 1962 Beetle ragtop 1968 Mustang Fastback 1969 Beetle convertible 1994 Goldwing SE 1999 GMC Sierra 1500 Z71 2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac (wifes car) All in near pristine condition.
Reply to
Dave Brower

They were smart enough to come up with that and still ignore what Nova (sound) means in Spanish? Dunno.

Reply to
jjs

John.

I just sanded the chrome really well with some 150 grit paper..degreased with a degreaser then wiped everything down with denatured alcohol. I then broke out the krylon and painted black bout 2 coats.. and everything seems to be fine..only thing I noticed that flake away is on the key holes.. The bumpers well thats another story..my summer project is to sandblast the chrome and go from there.. I primed them with a good primer and then tried painting and they still chip away very easily.. hope thats what you wanted to here

Jeremie

1972 SB
VdubBeetle1972

when it comes to bikes...I say Klein all the way! ;)

Nick

Reply to
Nein H20 VWs

Ok, here I go... Name: Ant (nick for Antiourhfneusthsmdncowihe). Disease: aircooled-aholic.

1st car: '73 VW 1300 metallic green (the best year ever!) in 2001. Actually owning 2 bugs which does not make much sense to me yet (I said yet). Age: 33

Ant

B.C. Bugger wrote:

Reply to
Ant

Morning. James here. 34, one wife,two kids, third due in next 3 weeks. Live in Nottingham, right in the centre of England. First car at 17, an absolute nail of a 1973 1300 marina blue beetle, bought from my dad for £25...he bought a lawnmower with the money. I ran it for two years, going to the first UK Bug Jam in it. Some kind soul drove right into the side, causing me to roll it. Bunch of crappy cars later, got the second beetle in '95. A pinky purple 1200. Spent loads, now has more or less rot free & a nice 1600 behind. Couple of pics here..

Dailydriver & not afraid of the cold & rain & ice & whatever else gets thrown atus.

james

Reply to
Juper Wort

....................I drove my dad's '52 Olds during the middle 60's when I was in highschool. It was a great car in many ways. Very durable and even good handling once I learned how to drive it properly. I know that it kept me from 'buying the farm' at least a few times.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 08:21:48 -0000, "Juper Wort" ran around screaming and yelling:

congrats James..... J

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Hullo my name is Joseph. I live in Kampala, Uganda (East Africa).

My dad had a 66 bug that's now hibernating in our family home's garage.

I bought a 68 bug for USD$770 in June 2003

Am only 23 years

Reply to
klashniv

Thanks, thats very kind. We're all on tenderhooks at the mo, while the wife is doing all the 'nesting' !!

Reply to
Juper Wort

I'm Larry, 44, VP of Network Systems, in San Jose, CA.

First car was a 1971 Super Beetle. By the time I was finished with that car, it had (put on your mid-70's traveler caps, everyone): Cragar S/S wheels (big in back, skinnies in front) A beautiful maroon paint job Flared fenders front and back (hand laid fiberglass) Nerf bars! Dechromed

1835 motor with mild cam, dual Kads, S&S Exhaust

I loved that car so much, I spent the next 20 years (of and on) looking for another. Found "Herman" about 2 months ago, and am happily logging 200 miles a week on him while I"m gathering parts for his body-on rebuild

Larry

Reply to
Larry St. Regis

Hi Joseph

Are those bugs African made? In Nigeria or?

Jan

Reply to
Jan

In what country? In chile Nova is a kitchen tissue paper...

(and yes: Nova would be 'no va' as is 'does not go' but few people think about it)

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski