OT... kinda-Everybody step up

Name: Bill Berckman

First Car was a 73 Standard Beetle that I got as a senior in High School. (78-79) School Year.

Other VW I have owned.

66 Beetle 74 Beetle 67 Beetle (still currently have in the garage)

Bill Berckman Cincinnati VW/Porsche Family Reunion Show 2003 Pictures

Bill Berckman

"Eduardo Kaftanski" wrote

The Nova story is an urban legend:

Scott H

Hi, my name's Paul > my 1st car was a 1955 Chrysler New Yorker w/331 Firepower hemi....I was 14, and used to listen to the Troggs' Wild Thing on the am radio, and play with the electric seat. The I started taking it across the street and zooming around the Stanley Works parking lot....the engineers had lots of beautiful beetles parked there...I'm almost 52 now..

Reply to
pmbedard

Thanks for the info, Jeremie. I have tried about the same thing with similar results. I wish I could get some of those parts from the manufacturer before they plate them. It costs more to strip chrome off than to lay it on.

Reply to
jjs

Good for you, James! Best to the missus and yourself.

Reply to
jjs

Well, there is a case where Snopes might be wrong, or maybe I was living in the Twilight Zone. I used to live in New Mexico and there were Novas but they had different badges. Can't remember the name, but I think it started with a 'C'. Did the locals replace them? Seems unlikely they would all agree to use the same badge.

Reply to
jjs

Dan Epperly here.

  1. Live in San Diego and my first car was my worse: a POS '71 Mercury Capri. My first Bug was a '68 'vert, bought about 13 years ago and kept for two. Now in possession of a beautiful '68 Westy, '60 Karmann Ghia, '60 ragtop Bug, '66 Bug 'vert and a brand new luxurious '04 Passat stationwagon bought for the wife and kid.

--Dan E

Reply to
Braukuche

In Canada you could get Nova's and the Pontiac equivalent which was the Acadian. More chrome and different trim but essentially the same car.

B.C. Bugger

Mark D. here, just about to turn 31. Hmmmm lets see, my first car was given to me by my dad when I was about 7. It was a mid 60's Corvair Monza coupe (hey, at least it was aircooled!). He brought it home and said that I could drive it around the acreage all I wanted too! Little did I know that 2 days later while at school, he yanked the motor out of it to put in our Airboat, that evil rat bastard!!! First car I could legally drive was a rare 61' Rambler Classic "Super". Some other somewhat odd cars(for the late 80' / 90's) I've owned have been; 73' Chevelle, 81' AMC Eagle SX/4 (4wd) fully macked out hatchback, 67' Mercury Comet, 67' Volvo 122s Amazon (which was ALWAYS mistaken for a Notchback!). 86' Mitsubishi Starion ESi-R. We had a 4 seat rail and 2 manx style buggies when I was a kid but my first VW that I bought was my 72' which is now a pretty tricked out Baja. others I have had during the last few years have been a 73' std, 66' beetle, and a bunch of ones that got hacked up for parts. And I just bought a 71' westy on Saturday. Mark Detro Englewood, FL

Reply to
Mark Detro

You certainly have driven some odd ones.................The Starion was a surprise though , wasn't it?

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

MUADIB®

My name is Tom and I am a VWaddict. First car was a 46 ford flathead. First VW was a 1960 Beetle. Was 50 Sept. 26th.

-- the Grokdoc Tom Malmevik all that groks is god

67 Baja "marti"
Reply to
Thomas Malmevik

Name: Olli Lammi Location: Pirkkala, Finland Age: 30 (born 02.02.1973) Occupation: project/development manager in software business (M.Sc. = (Eng.))

First car: Fiat 127 Stella -82=20 First ACVW: VW Beetle 1300 -73 since June 2002 =

Current cars: the Beetle mentioned above, Ford Mondeo 1.8 SpBack -01

Reply to
Olli Lammi

Ahem. That's MY 68 bug convertible, thank you very much!

Almost an Olde Farte.

Hi. I'm Kidd. My first car was a 65' beetle baja I never actually got to drive (but Jan did). The first car I drove was a 95 Neon I totalled in 2002. Oh, and I turned 22 in September. Remember: Fish are friends, NOT FOOD!

"A hundred days to make me older since the last time that I saw your pretty face. A thousand lies to make me colder and I don't think I could look at this the same, but all the miles that seperate disappear now when I remember your face."

Reply to
Kidd Andersson

Allan Williams, 25 last november (about to be married :-) 3.5 weeks to go - on feb 14th)

My first ca was a 1972 Daihatsu Max 360 (cc)

had a 356cc two cylinder watercooled two stroke engine... developing34bhp. Does 115Km/h. was 14 when I got it :-) Second I had a '59 Beetle,

Then I got an Aussie assembled '66 1300

Then a 1970 "Fonzie" Van (which I still have -

,
It has asubaru impreza engine and the bumpers (front and rear) are gone now. Then I got a '58 deluxe as a aparts car, but I never used it for parts - I swapped it for a set of type 4 2.0 conrods last month!

Then I got a 1970 Variant (squareback) which I got as a swap for my '66. I still have it.

Then I got another 1972 Daihatsu Max 360!

Now I have inherited a 1992 Mitsubishi Mirage X (1.5 DOHC blahblahblah) with my wife-to-be. It actually performs better than my 2001 Corolla!

I got my first company car at age 19, which was a 1998 Holden (opel) Astra

1.6 DOHC Wagon, then a 2001 Hyundai Lantra (I had that for a whopping 11,000 Kms - 3 months... DON'T buy one!) then a 1996 Camry Wagon (don't buy one of them either!) which I swapped for a 1992 Subaru Legacy Wagon, then I got a 2001 Corolla, and this year I'm going to get either a Honda Civic sedan with CVT trans, or a Mazda2 Sport (Demio, Genki) with all the kit :-)

Company cars are good because I don'y have to buy a real car for me... Although I am going to get a 90's Toyota Previa Supercharger and a Suzuki Cappuccino

one day. I guess the previa counts as areal car... but the cappuccino is "slightly" impractical :-D Allan

Reply to
Allan Williams

Nice to see so many lurkers come out of hiding and respond to the thread. Don't forget to come out and say hi more often! I was starting to worry.

Kidd "A hundred days to make me older since the last time that I saw your pretty face. A thousand lies to make me colder and I don't think I could look at this the same, but all the miles that seperate disappear now when I remember your face."

Reply to
Kidd Andersson

Hi there. My name's Bill. I'm a 55 year old (or is it 54? I forget) computational linguist, and I'm an aircooled-o-holic. But I'm not so sure I want to give up my addiction, because I like riding around with the top down too much. I bought this car in 1978 for $825. It's been through 2 engines and 4 glove box knobs. It's in the garage now, waiting for spring.

Reply to
cloud8

Hi All! My name is Christa, 31, and I am VERY new to air cooled engines (who am I kidding, I'm new to engines of any kind). My first VW was my Christmas gift - a 1969 Bug currently sitting in our garage in many pieces. My husband restored a 1970 when we first started dating - but "Gretchen" gave up her will to live one day while I was driving her. Hopefully "Felix" will not harbor the same ill will toward me as I am doing most of the restoration myself under my husband's watchful eye. Wish me luck and patience . . .

Reply to
Sean & Christa

"B.C. Bugger" wrote

I'm 37. First driving experience (sort of) - shifting the gears (3 on the tree!) as my dad drove his '63 Chevy truck, I was maybe 6 or 7 years old. First time alone behind the wheel - somewhere around age 12, driving my dad's '73 Chevy truck, usually backing the boat into the water then parking the truck when we went fishing. Also, it was sometime around this age that I first drove my uncle's '54 Willys Jeep. First time driving a VW - around age 14, an older friend's parents had bought him an old Beetle that they were going to build into a dune buggy. After they took the body off, we drove the pan around in a big field behind his house, using it as a big go-kart for several weeks before they started on the buggy. First car - '72 Chevy Impala 4-door ... but I didn't own it, it was the spare family car that I and my two sisters each drove as our first car. First car I owned - '75 Chevy Monte Carlo, traded it in on an '88 Toyota 4x4 truck. First VW - '72 Super Beetle, bought it in 1990 and still drive it today.

-- Scott

Reply to
Scott H

"Sean & Christa" wrote

Good luck on the restoration and welcome to the group. There are lots of very knowledgeable and helpful folks here.

-- Scott

Reply to
Scott H