OT: Mercedes 190SL progress - update

Just finished putting the cylinder head together. I won't be able to put the whole engine together, I'm running out of time. Moving to Virginia in just a couple of weeks. I am trying to do what I can for this project.

Anyways.

Some pictures.

Head before:

Head after:

Not perfect but good enough for our needs. Some more cleaning before installation and I'll replace the chain guides too. What's left of them.

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Sad to hear you will not be able to finish the project, hope the owner =

will appreciate the work and compensate you accordingly.

All the best.

J=F8rn

Reply to
P.J.Berg

Well he is very understanding and said he'd pay me by the hour as much as my day job for every hour I am able to put into the engine, on top of our previous agreements.

The worst thing for me is not seeing and hearing the engine come to life, no matter how far I get with it. All the labor in prepping and detailing parts and stuff, is sort of lost when I will never see them work together. Oh well.

I'll be lucky if I'm able to get the head on, time it and put the oil pan on. I'll see how many external parts I have time to bolt on, many of them are already done and just sitting pretty on the shelf. I'd like to try the rust covered starter too if it would come to life... at least he'd be able to crank the dead engine over. Don't even know if the clutch is stuck or not. Most likely it is, but it's hydraulic and not responding after sitting for 25 years. Of course.

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Before and after:

Not much to look at yet. Maybe tomorrow night I can get the head and oil pan installed. Most likely not, need to pack our junk.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson