OT: mid-size car canopy?

The sun is getting hotter here in Carlsbad ("We're Working On A Motto") California, and there's no shade in front of the garage where the Wonderbus's engine and I are forced to park ourselves. Tools are getting too darn hot to pick up. It ain't right, I tells ya.

I got the new Harbor Freight catalog today and noted their "Car Canopy." Gave me an idea. I could park one in front of the garage. But the one they have is 12 foot x 20 foot (about 4 x 6 meters for the Imperial units-impaired). Much too long for my space, though perfect for the hulking SUV they picture under it. They sell smaller canopies, at 10 x

10 foot, but those are too small.

Does anyone have a lead on canopies in between those sizes?

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Over this side of the pond, 10 foot square cloth gazebo's were all the rage. They are cheap things from China for about £30 ( work it out) . Our local ASDA ( WalMart) used to have them. may be of some help ?

James

Reply to
Juper Wort

DUR ! Would help to read your original Q. Sorry. J

Reply to
Juper Wort

Have you tried army surplus stores? They might have a nice camo one the right size. Alternatively, could the large one you mentioned be modified with a hacksaw and sewing machine? :-)

--Steve

Reply to
tunafish

On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 23:18:03 -0700, "Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott" scribbled this interesting note:

Look here:

I have one of their 12X20 canopies across the end of my driveway. It has three small cars under it. Who says it must be set up where you can only get one vehicle under it???

I've had this beast up for a while(three years or more) and I recently had to send off for a new top for it. The new top canopy cost just over $50.00 delivered. For a temporary (or not so temporary) shade or carport these are hard to beat.

John Willis

Another avenue to take is to visit your local flea mkt. Many of them sell some welded fittings in various shapes and sizes, for the ends and corners, and then you would just use EMT (Electrical Conduit). You can cut the conduit and make a frame to anysize you desire. Then just buy a standard tarp for the top. They sell a lot of these for Craft Vendors, Carnivals, Flea Mkts etc and they work well.

Butch

Reply to
Anton382