OT Want fries with that?

I wonder if the exhaust smells like french fries.

I'm still thinking of building a still and making my own alcohol. Most of my cars & tractors should run fine on that with carb adjustments.

Reply to
Randy

Bio fuel has been experimented with for quite a while:

couple of years ago while visiting the Netherlands, I heard that somepeople there run experimentally on seed oil (might have been lindseed) - notsure whatever came of it. Probably does smell like french fries so probably got everyone there so sick of it that they stopped eating it :)

Remco

Reply to
remco

Yeah, I just thought it was interesting that the conversion kit was only $840 and so readily available. Not sure what size tank that car has, but suppose it's a 14 gallon tank. Gas prices around here are touching $2.60/gallon for regular (and I think diesel is actually more expensive than that) now so that's at least $36.40 to fill up. $840/$36.4~=23. That car probably gets 40 mpg or so on regular diesel fuel, so someone could get 550 or so miles out of a tank.

550*23=12,650 miles. I put over 12,000 miles per year on my daily driver, and I think that's probably close to the average around here. So in other words, for about the cost it would take to put regular fuel in the car for a year (actually a little less since like I said I think diesel costs a little more than regular gas here), you could get the conversion kit for it and not have to pay for fuel anymore. I realize that's a best-case-scenario, but even if it cost as much as it would to fill up for a year and a half to convert over to something where fuel was free from then on, then it might be worth looking into if you're handy with tools and could do the conversion yourself. And if you don't mind smelling like french fries all the time. :-)
Reply to
Shag

we are set up to do veggy oil convertions at the shop . there are a few different cars running around here running on veggyoil now and the next conversion is on a diesel Benz.

And yes you will get hungry if you smell the exhaust.

Reply to
Kafertoys

There was a few links to people running veggie oil(McDonnald etc. residues) in their VW aircooleds a few years back, in between all my "puter" changes I have lost the links. (Actually they are sitting in a hard drive in an external enclosure, not all agreeing with my Mac.) That said I can axsess most my files, just hard to import bookmarks from Opera Win style to Opera Mac flavor.

There was this geezer running veggie in a T2 , the preheat and filter was the only drawback I could see....

J.

Reply to
P.J. Berg

Maybe one day we'll be able to fill up at a McDonalds drive through. "One Big mac, Mcfries and one McGas, please..".

Reply to
remco

Oh, McDonalds has been giving me McGas for years.

Reply to
User Example

You people still eat that garbage????

Gave that up about 8 or 10 years ago..........unless of course it's the only food for miles around.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

If A Quiz is Quizical, What is a test?

The Peacemaking Meeting scheduled for today has been cancelled due to a conflict.

Reply to
MUADIB®

Recently I watched a cable car show called "TopGear" -- they converted minure into gas that could be used in a car and it actually worked. The conversion process is cost prohibitive, until now:

You might have stumbled onto something: McGas could save the free world... :)

Reply to
remco

oil fueled aircooled gasoline engine?

how so?

Reply to
jboothbee

Randy - How many acres have you got? That's an awful lot of alcohol - what? - about 4x as much alcohol as gasoline? Been awhile since I played with methanol.

Reply to
Busahaulic

shit! if manure can be turned into fuel, half of usenet replys could be considered fossil fuels!

Reply to
Funkie

Not nearly enough where we are currently living but we're looking for a larger farm down in missouri. Hope to be moved this fall.

Reply to
Randy

I hear ya - if stupidity could be used as an alternative fuel source, we wouldn't need cold fusion either. :)

Reply to
Remco

It was done in Finland (I don't know if I should be proud of this one or not) a farmer converted his old Volvo station wagon to run on cow manure. Or to be more exact, it runs on the "natural gas" (uh huh) that is extracted from the manure during a contained recycling process. Burn product is very clean, water and carbon dioxide. Don't know what it smells like though.

No, they do not load the trunk full of poop and head for groceries downtown. :)

Jan

Funkie wrote:

Reply to
Jan Andersson

It's called Methane. Here are a couple links:

There are several dairy's around the country running the entire operation on methane gas produced from the waste of the dairy cows. Mother Earth News did a lot on Methane Generators back in the early '70's during the "energy crisis".

Neil

Reply to
Neil