OT: We survived

We are alive. We rode out the storm in Biloxi. What a hell of a ride. House made it, but we got flooded. Both my '66 and '69 Beetles were under salty water. the 69 had water up to the top of the dash and the '66 had water just up to the the door handle. Both crank cases had salt water in them for almost 4 days before I could get to them. I think the engines are siezed on both of them. What a mess. Insurance company said they would probably total them. oh thats WHEN they decide to get an adjuster out to the house. and thats Allstates stand...

dw69

Reply to
dragenwagen

Good to hear you are OK.

Reply to
Funkie

There were a couple of post in this group wondering if you were ok - We were all worried. Property (including bugs) can be fixed or replaced. Glad to see you and yours got through this unhurt.

Remco

Reply to
remco

Glad to hear that you are safe. :o)

Reply to
Bill Berckman

..............It's great to hear that you and your family are OK.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

---------------------------------

Good.

----------------------------------

---------------------------------

We can fix that. Get the batteries out and hose down your generator/alternator and starter with fresh water as soon as you can. The engines & trannies will have to be dismantled and cleaned but so long as you don't try cranking them, there won't be any mechanical damage.

Ditto for flushing your heater channels and the central tunnel. You need to get the salty gunk outta there as soon as possible.

Bottom Line: Don't sweat the small stuff. Glad to hear you're okay.

-Bob Hoover

PS -- Next time, bag them if you can't drive them out of harm's way.

Reply to
veeduber

Glad to see dragenwagen is back.

Charles of Kankakee

Reply to
n5hsr

On 10 Sep 2005 14:01:57 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@isp.com scribbled this interesting note:

I seem to recall that a while back you gave some great instructions on how to do that...

-- John Willis snipped-for-privacy@airmail.net (Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)

Reply to
John Willis

Hi Tim (Dragenwagen ), I just knew you would survive this one as all VW people are fighters and very independent. I've heard from ED Thompson, Ada Jones, Doug Sauicer, Dennis from Imaginary Bug Club and a few others. I know what you guys are going through as it was about a year ago that Ivan ripped us a new one! If you need anything just give me a shout and Rare Air will help. Keeping our fingers crossed that we will all be spared any more grief from these storms. Take care,

Be Cool.....AIRCOOLED !!

"Wild" Bill Tucker

President Rare Air VW Club Pensacola, Florida

'78 VW Bus ( "Old Rusty" )

'76 Bug "The Grape"

'69 Squareback , Arizona car, Automatic

Rare Air VW Club Website:

or

Wild Bill Tucker

glad to hear you are ok!

Reply to
Howard Rose

Ditto, glad you and your family are fine!!

Sorry about the Bugs too!! But that can wait on more important things.

Reply to
TerryB

Thanks. Pulled the plugs today and drained the case. Gave a heave ho on the main pulley and she belched oily water and the case is full of crap, but the motor turned freely... there is hope. I will have to tear down the motor and inspect it. hopefully i can get it running.

Reply to
dragenwagen

Hey you better get it running before 1 October !!!! I think about you guys and the work and pure hell you are going through. At least the weather has been half decent since Katrina hit. Keeping our fingers crossed that the Hurricane season is over for all of us on the Gulf Coast. Take care my friend,

Be Cool.....AIRCOOLED !!

"Wild" Bill Tucker

President Rare Air VW Club Pensacola, Florida

'78 VW Bus ( "Old Rusty" )

'76 Bug "The Grape"

'69 Squareback , Arizona car, Automatic

Rare Air VW Club Website:

or

Wild Bill Tucker

well the weather has held.... no rain since the storm... funny huh? that was 2 weeks ago. Pulled the plugs out of the 69 today and drained the case. It turns freely, so there is hope for it also. but i know i will have to replace altenators starters and ignition switches, they look horrible. House is almost dried out. so things arent looking that bad. just need to get some $$$ from the insurance folks.

Reply to
dragenwagen

bad news and more bad news -

they are going to total the '69. The '66 only had liability on it and they didnt even want to look at it.

I may get to keep the 69 as a salvage... depending on what they determine the value is.

This sucks.

Reply to
dragenwagen

Insurance usualy does.

I really feel for you. All I can say is remember what realy matters, you, your family etc.

I know I am too far away, but I would still say if there is anything I can do ......

Rich

Reply to
Tricky