OT: Went Racing Today!

I love summer and having the time off. My daughter asked me if I wanted to go racing today with her and her boyfriend. I figured great, I get to go have some fun and spend time with my daughter. (I count myself lucky that my 18yo daughter doesn't mind havin me around).

Anyway, we ended up at an indoor racetrack with go carts. It was funny at first as the prior race was lined up in the staging area, it reminded me of the car ride at Disneyland. The similarity lasted about as long as a blink.

You watch a 5 minute safety video in the briefing room and then go suit up. Jump suit, gloves, head sock, helmet and then racetime.

The track is in a big hollowed out warehouse and its full of twists, turns and of course the nice long straight-away. We got six laps to warm up and decide positions on the track and then it was off to the races. What a rush. Coming out of the straight away, you could be doing 30mph before the hairpin turn. I know that doesn't sound fast, but remember this is indoor and the turns are close. My fastest lap was the lap where I didn't use my brakes at all and powered up to the turn, slid around and then powered out of it.

After 22 laps we were all done. Before going, I thought that wouldn't be enough, but for the first time out it was perfect. We all were drenched in sweat getting out of the jumpsuits.

If you have one of these in your area, take some time out from working on the old aircooled and give it a try. It was one of the best $20 I've spent in a long time.

Scott '60 DC

Reply to
Scott Fraser

Been there, done that.. with about 10 friends!

Only complaints I have is with ventilation of the room... exhaust gases soon started to fill the area. Yes they had powerful fans, but they weren't enough. I started feeling sick and had to quit early. WEAR THOSE GLOVES!!! Otherwise you WILL get blisters in your hands.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Which track was that? Formulakeidas? I have been around quite a lot with the indoor and outdoor karting. We are maintaining a web site describing most of the tracks in southern Finland. Just curious of the track you were experiencing this trouble.

(the site:

sorry, only in finnish)

More than that I recommend keeping the helmet visor closed. There is always some rubber and sand in the tracks that very easily fly to your face from your own front tires or the front bumber.

Reply to
Olli Lammi

I forgot. Been a while now.

Jan