OT: What do we think of americans?

A few days ago there was a thread about what the rest of the world thinks of americans, although late I feel this links are very important to understand why we think what we think:

will need Real Player or whatever is called now. Have fun ;) Ant

Reply to
A Ranada Shaw

..................It's very true that there are many Americans who are poorly educated and know virtually nothing about science, technology, geography, world history, you name it. I'd guess that maybe one quarter to one third of the general population (depending on where you go) would have a hell of a time finding Australia on a map.

.............But it's the rest of us that you should be worrying about. We gave you desktop computers, 747's, victory in The Cold War, Terminator movies, Seinfeld reruns, the coronary bypass, cell phones, color television, rock and roll, McDonald's, Profession Wrestling, satellite global positioning so that you outback types don't get lost on your goofball walkabouts and then get eaten by dingos, The America's Cup (but then we sent Dennis Connor to take it back so that he could lose it to the Kiwis who couldn't even defend it against SWITZERLAND!), etc., etc., etc.

..................If you keep trying to piss us off, we're going to take everything back.

LOL!

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Oh, we are so scared!! Are you gonna send an army? will they find the way to a place they never heard of? lol

Now seriously, don't believe that europeans think that americans are a bunch of unliterate readnecks, some of us even like some of you! just like any other country you have good and bad stuff, like Chevy Chase! (man....)

Ant

Tim Rogers wrote:

Reply to
A Ranada Shaw

During April/May I was working in an oilfield in Bohai Sea China, on an FPSO tanker with 100 or so people, and having to bunk in a room with 3 guys from Xiamen.

A couple of them spoke reasonable English, and we'd chat in the evening about various topics - work, and life in general.

"Do you think it was started by the Americans?", one of them asked.

We had been talking about the SARS outbreak, and I thought they had changed topic on me again without notice.

Yes, confirmed the other - a large number of chinese people, they claimed, actually believed that the Americans, or CIA or whatever, had started the SARS outbreak in Guandong!

"why on earth would they do that?", I questioned.

"Oh - to keep our economy down!", they answered assuredly.

Couldn't possibly have been their own backwardness on health matters - got to blame the foreign devils for it.

=================

Go figger!

However (snicker):

I could believe it about the Canadian SARS outbreak - George Bush thinks Jean Chretien is as big an asshole as Nixon thought Trudeau was

- hahahahaha! (remember the Nixon tapes?)

(in case you hadn't guessed, I'm originally Canadian, hahahaha).

Reply to
Oldbie

Yea, but hey - you got Mel Gibson, Crocodile Dumbass and Captain Kangaroo!

But this guy's not actually talking about Australia & Australians, he's chinese, probably from Singapore, Malaysia, or Hong Kong.

Reply to
Oldbie

............We also invented computerized navigation systems based on GPS that would enable the Rhode Island Reserves to find you guys............heh heh.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

....................With a name like Shaw?.......Oh well.

............At least the links that he posted were Australian. I did notice, after I responded, that he had a NZ email (nl ?).

Reply to
Tim Rogers

LOOKOU NOW~!.............Don;t be knocing one of my heroes.................That Cap'n Roo dude was a hip old man.....................

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

MUADIB®

nl = Netherlands, as in Holland, y'know - cloggies, cheeseheads, tulips, whatever? It also has some kinda reference to the university at Delft, I think. Y'know - Delft - the blue'n'white china - chinese

- get it, hahaha. Seriously though, Shaw is as good a chinese name as you'll find. The Hong Kong theater moguls that copied the original Warner Brothers curvy "WB" logo were the Shaw Brothers "SB", Run Run Shaw and Run Me Shaw - no shit - original names.

Reply to
Oldbie

Wrong, wrong, wrong, sorry guys but I am neither chinese nor australian or dutch (although I live there). Anyway, what does it matter? the point is that any country is laughable, or there is still mature people that think they live in the "best" country in the world? The way this thing was carried away was to ask thousands of people very very simple questions, and a small percentage of them gave very stupid answers, that happens everywhere, don't be so silly about people laughing at the US because in europe we laugh about our countries all the time.

BTW is good that at least somebody in this ng can distingish between L and Z, lol!

Ant

Oldbie wrote:

Reply to
Ant

...................sigh.................Now I'm supposed to know the internet abbreviation of every tiny little city state throughout 'old europe'?

.......my bad

:-)

Reply to
Tim Rogers

.....................Hey Howard? Why not blame us for Mad Cow Disease too?

........sheesh

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Well, taking into account that CIA is not exactly a charity organization, specially when dealing with foreign affairs, is not strange that people end up thinking such things. Wouldn't be the first time....

Ant

Tim Rogers wrote:

Reply to
Ant

Perdoneme.

I should have known what the "Ant" was for.

Reply to
Oldbie

hey, read the rest of it! by no means am I agreeing with it, just stating what has been said... don't shoot the messenger!

Reply to
Howard Rose

All I have to say is I"m pretty damn proud of myself for staying out of this thread........didn't even tell anyone of them non-mericans to go to hell or pound sand or nuttin'!.....kept my opinions to myself.........being a good boy today......fresh jerky makes Sneaks a happy guy....

Sneaks

Reply to
Sneaks

One of 'ems named Rick,............right??

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

MUADIB®

One of 'ems named Rick,............right??

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

MUADIB®

Reply to
tecwhiz

Well put, Travis. When the USA is not involved in a military action of its own, something else is happening to inspire the conspiracy buffs, such as Ebola, the resurgence of Malaria, Chicken Pox - you name it. It's just a statistical issue.

Viruses may as well be alien for all we know about them. Study up on it, all, if you want to be totally humbled with ignorance. It's like they have their own ecosphere.

Reply to
J Stafford