OT-WTF: what is www.hardware-update.com ???

Hey - anybody had this happen or know what it is?

The other day, when I changed around some BIOS APM parameters in my PC I got a blue screen and message during w2000 boot that suggested my Auto Pwr Mgmt bios was "not up to spec" in a original IBM P2 PC ????, and that I should get an upgrade from my mfgr or go to this web site.

I thought it odd that MS would write OS SW that directs you to someone else's web site.

If I look at that web site it appears to be some unorganized bullshit set-up that I can't even figure out what their game is.

I scanned my w2000 files and found that web site name in several files, especially in a DVD update context. It is also buried in my win ME OS in a place loosely referred to as "win2000 upgrade" type stuff. WTF?

Do I need to get de-wormed, or what?

Reply to
Oldbie

got a blue screen and

to spec" in a original

set-up that I can't even

especially in a DVD update

as "win2000 upgrade" type

Change your APM back, or better yet, disable the crap since it is problematic at best. Win2K and XP both are very sensitive to "improper" APCM configurations, to the point of registry damage, more so on VIA chipsets and downright lethal on ALi chipsets.

Sneaks

Reply to
Sneaks