paint on tins

what type of paint should on my tins? Engine paint.

Reply to
Jeff Barnes

I am not sure that any specific paint is recommended over another. I always restore my tinware by first getting them down to metal, next, a coat of Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer, and then several light enamal coats of the selected color. As a color, black if fine, but it is not a requirement. More important than the color is the fit of the tins during installation.

Reply to
luftgekuhlten

"Jeff Barnes" schreef in bericht news:ThIbh.17514$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.nyroc.rr.com...

I'll have my engine tin powder coated.

Roger

Reply to
bug '59

How much did it cost? did you try a home kit?I am still thinking what to do with the engine sound proofing

Reply to
Jeff Barnes

"Jeff Barnes" schreef in bericht news:ttWbh.34576$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.nyroc.rr.com...

Haven't done it yet. I have my new engine sitting in my garage for 2 years now... maybe this year? :( I've seen them powder coated and that made me want to have it too. However, no diy on this one. I leave that to the pro's

Roger

Reply to
bug '59

Reply to
Jeff Barnes

"Jeff Barnes" schreef in bericht news:AF1ch.17595$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.nyroc.rr.com...

Isn't powder coating "dry painting"? I'm not able to put on a coat of powder on any panel and then heat it up. Simply because I never done it before AND I don't have the equipment to do it. I do have a compressor and blaster but they are both cheap crap. The compressor works but I haven't been able to make the blaster work properly :( (not to mention all the grid flying around:))

Good luck Roger

Reply to
bug '59

Reply to
Jeff Barnes

Not sure about the Eastwood DIY powder coating method, but it may require you to put it in a home cooking oven for a bit. If so, be sure to use an oven you never intend to use for cooking after you're done as the procedure is quite toxic. I looked into it a while back and decided against doing it myself for that reason.

Remco

Reply to
Remco

Nothing wrong with power coating. But it is hardly a requirement.

I finish my tins in the manner suggested of another who responded: Remove the old paint Primer coat Apply top coats

Light sanding with #000 or #0000 steel wool between coats. Clean surface, apply next coat. This treatment of the tins will hold up a long time. And will continue to look good.

Reply to
74 Daily Driver

I'm sure it looks great. Your method doesn't require baking?

Reply to
Remco

here is a cheap trick with a sandblaster nozzle. I just cut up an old water bottle and taped it to the nozzle.

tool keeps the sand and debis localized and it's cheap too! ;-)Of course if you have a media blaster cabinet along with good air pressure and volume, you can really do some fast blasting of the small parts. AFAIK Some people use some heat lamps to heat up the parts after powder coating them.

later, dave (One out of many daves)

dave AKA vwdoc1

No baking. However, I have learned to hang such painted parts on the clothes line (from wires) during the summer months. Which helps give the paint a good fix to the surface. I also do my parts painting during the warmer months. And apply paint onto a warm surface.

Reply to
luftgekuhlten