Parts Washer recomendation?

I'm trying to locate a parts washer to buy. I've found a couple but they say to only use water-based solvents. I don't think that water and detergent will take off grease on car parts very well. I'm looking for one that is designed for something like kerosene. Does any one sell such a parts washer? I found some by snap-on but they start at about $1400 and go up to $15,000. I'm looking for a $100 one.

thanks, William

Reply to
William Wuister

I know what you mean... the kerosene ones are much more fun... put a lit match at the end of all that combustible material shooting out under pressure from that nozzle and your dirty parts problems are history! :-)

Ah, sorry, thought you were talking about a pressure washer for a second!

I bought some water-based parts cleaner from a FLAPS and it actually worked pretty good on some dirt/greasy parts. Stuff even stung on exposed skin a bit. It's basically a super strong detergent in concentrate. It did the job and I was happy with it. A bit surprised that it did so well, too, like you'd probably be!

Don't recall the name, but it came in a purple one-gallon jug, like anti-freeze (like anyone here knows what that is!) :-)

Anyone know the name of that stuff?

-Rob J

William Wuister wrote:

Reply to
Rob J

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 17:30:09 -0400, William Wuister left Mt Vesuvius in a state of jealous awe as he began spewing from the mouth thusly:

I use a coffee can with gasoline in it. *blush* Hey, you can see it laying next to the muffler here...

-- Travis (Shaggie) '63 VW Camo Baja...

corrodes the vessel that carries it.

Reply to
travis

The ones from the traveling tool sales and harbour freight can use kerosene (or at least thats what I use in mine). I got a 20 gallon washer, its works pretty good, the only things I don't like compared to a saftey kleen tank is that the tub is filled with the fluid and the flexible outlet does not have a built in brush. But for $69 I'm pretty happy with it, has a fused cover and all. plus it makes a handy table when not in use! Mark Detro Englewood, FL

Reply to
Mark Detro

Not that I have ever tried it myself (yet!) ...

Seeing how greasy pans and pots comes out clean off the dishwasher, I'll bet it would do a good job, even with the normal detergent, with car parts.

A used dishwasher for 100$ outta be possible to find!

Reply to
Eric Desrochers

snipped

now that is a very good idea. Hot water and detergent works wonders. hmmm lol

I have used the water based solvents, they work a little slow to me and don't leave your rustable parts in it. I finally used that solvent (Amway I think) on the floors.

dave

Don't laugh, but I have an old dishwasher in my garage for this very purpose. The truth is, it doesn't work that good. I have even tried different types of soap, no avail. Its only good for light amounts of dirt, grease just doesn't come off.

Havent used it in a couple of years since it really doesn't work.

Ryan.

Reply to
Ryan Lester

Oooopps! :)