Peoples Car

There was an article in the Wall Street Journal about VW today. It seems that people including shareholders are wondering what happened to the peoples car that VW was at one time famous for. Here is a link an article about a recent meeting. Bring back the peoples car, and VW might actually see people in their dealerships making a purchase. It is working for Hyundai who does not offer a $80,000 luxury car.

Berckman

67 Beetle
Reply to
Bill Berckman

"You have been invited to send in your application for a license to purchase our new prestigeous 2047 year model of ElitistWagen MonsOOn. One could be YOURS if you fit our carefully thought out customer profile. Send in your application NOW, and our selection team will review it as soon as it is convenient for them to do so. In the meantime, you may enjoy these brochures we sent you with this letter, along with the USD350 bill. For the brochures themselves. We are looking forward to making business with you, and in fact we would like to receive a (non-refundable) downpayment of a mere USD57.000 (not more than 5% of the list price of the 2047 ElitistWagen MonsOOn) and if you fail to make this deposit by the end of the week, we will send you one of our lawyers. This would mean another 32.500 dollar bill, but WAIT!

12% of it is refundable upon purchase. (If you fit another demographic group). Thank you Sir, and have a nice day. "

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

This is mainly a VWoA problem as I see it. Here in Germany, VW still is the people's car: the Golf is the best-selling car period, and both Polo and Passat are in the top ten too. Even the Eurovan is market leader with the small vans, and the Touran with the minivans.

If they wanted to, they certainly could compete with the mid-to-low-end market segment in the US as well. But they seem to prefer not to give you the Lupo, Polo, or base-model Golf, nor do they compete in the US commercial vehicles market at all (or do they?). Money is, it turns out, easier made with prestige than volume in a foreign market, especially one so different as the US market seems from this side of the pond.

But there's nothing inherently wrong with $80k luxury Volkswagens: rich folks are part of the people, too :-), and it didn't hurt Mercedes one bit to have a range of commercial vans, trucks, farm tractors, and even compact cars to go alongside their luxury range.

I think the VW Phaeton is a much more credible luxury car than some re-badged Mondeo Diesel wagon is a credible Jaguar, anyway. And even re-badged VW Touaregs named "Porsche" are rather stretching the credibility issue, IMHO.

Yours, Erik.

Reply to
Erik Meltzer

Does it appear that the South American built VWs sold in America are largely to blame for VWoA's problems?

Reply to
jjs

There was one interesting thing in that article which BTW was not written by a U.S. publication. Remember how widely praised Ferdinand Peich was for a few years. Now the new guy is talking about cleaning up his mess. I guess it shows how superficial people are.

Bill Berckman

67 Beetle
Reply to
Bill Berckman

Not really. VW "New Beetle"s are Mexican made for the German market too, and they don't seem to have any worse a reputation than those made in Germany, Belgium, Spain, or Poland.

Airhowlingly yours, Erik.

Reply to
Erik Meltzer

Reply to
dstorshunn

yeah.... and ALL people thought the YUGO sucked... because it was a cheap POS!!! lol yeah i know it wasnt a vw but still a POS!

Reply to
dragenwagen

It's intresting that you should should say that the Fox is/was a POS....it used the same engine and transmission as the Golf and Jetta....quite a few of them still running around in Canada.

Reply to
Pete Cressman

Hey I like the Fox, both in the Audi and the VW lines.

dave

Mexico is North America. When he said South america, he meant Brazil.

Karls

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

"Karls Vladimir Peña" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@uni-berlin.de:

I don't know if New Beetles and Polos are made in Brazil (for southern hemisphere countries?), but as of 2003, the VW factory in Puebla, Mexico "is the only plant that produces the New Beetle that is exported to the United States, Europe and Japan, and also produces the Golf convertible and the Jetta."

The last air-cooled Beetle was made in Puebla
VW has had labor/economy problems in both Puebla and Anchieta.

--Bill

Reply to
cloud8

Brazil makes Golfs and Polos... Mexico makes Jettas (Boras) and new Beetles...

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski