Pertronix ignition

Hi,

I have 1200 Mexico 1985 and just thinking about getting the Pertronix Ignitor and the Pertronix Coil. Could you advise me which piece I need? There is a few types as I found. There is also 3 types of coil: 0.6 Ohm, 1.5 Ohm and 3 Ohm. Which one is best for Beetle?

Thanks, Seweryn

Reply to
Seweryn

The Pertronix is quite happy with your standard coil, to upgrade I would rather spend money on a CDI unit rather than coil.

A CDI box + a Pertronix is hard to beat, add Iridium or similar plugs and you have a 50.000 Miles maintnance free system..

J.

Reply to
P.J. Berg

I would not put long life plugs in a bug. You have to remove the plugs fairly often, even if there's nothing wroing with them, just to keep them clean. If you put too many miles on ANY plugs, the carbon buildup in the threads will make it hard to remove them.. and then you end up stripping the threads in the heads.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Sounds great. Where can I get it? Any particular type of the CDI for Bug? And is it more efficient than the Petronix coil? I need it for standard 1200 Engine.

Regards, Seweryn

Reply to
Seweryn

A CDI unit amplifies your current going to the coil to 400 Volts and ignites three times by your standard trigger signal, the cheapest that was on the market was Universial industries "Tiger "something"" used to be sold by :

He is no longer carrying the product, not to do with quality, merely a business transaction thing.

They have been around since the fifties.. Well worth their money..

If you fail to locate them, go for Mallory, offers the same deal but in a more expensive wrapping.

After that it is MSD, expensive, new wrapping, same s**te..

J.

Reply to
P.J. Berg

I once emailed Universal Industries. They told me they would email me when they resumed making the part. They did! (I had sold the bug already :(

Reply to
Eduardo K.

I just installed a modified golf dist and TP100 ign module on mine, works great. I suppose it would be possible to skip the shaft milling and just take the insides out and mount into a beetle dist, but i didn't tried that. Email me if you want the wiring diagram, it's dead simple,

6 wires.
Reply to
Bart Bervoets

Did they mention where can you buy the kit online?

Karls

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

I googled for it.... cant remember right now.

Reply to
Eduardo K.