Pertronix ignition upgrade...

Ok, now that we have determined that the problem with the distributor hold down will require that I pull the distributor out, I am wondering if I should go ahead and upgrade the ignition with the Pertronix Ignitor product while I have the thing out.

Have you guys had any experience with this product? Is it really that much better? Looks easy enough to do, but I don't want to spend the money if there is no real incremental benifit to the project.

Skip

Reply to
Skip 66KG Lawson

I like them, over any other similar product. I have installed many of them on my own and customer cars.

To set a couple of things right though:

  1. They do NOT add any noticeable power (*), compared to properly tuned and working points & condensor.

  1. They do NOT increase MPG by any noticeable amount, compared to properly tuned etc. etc. etc.

What they DO offer, is reduced need for maintenance. No need to adjust anything inside the distributor ever again. The only service parts after that would be the cap and rotor.

(*) the ignition timing will be more accurate and steady at higher rpms, than with points. Absolutely no timing flutter, or points float. IF you have a high performance engine, this will allow you to rev higher and have a steadier timing at high rpms, resulting in a little more power. In a stock engine you don't see these conditions, so there is no power increase over what points can do.

Reply to
Jan Andersson

And then you a a Mallory Hyfire VI CDI or MSD 6A ignition box. You will be amazed how easy/quick that engine can start, my stock 1600 T1 started within one full crank rotation even during winter up here in Norway. Worth every penny. My combo was stock SVDA dissy, Pertronix and Tiger CDI. The Tiger is no longer available hence the need for Mallory or MSD. The Mallory goes for 145,-USD on Jegs and Summit.

J.

Reply to
P.J.Berg