Phantom gas odor

I was testing the '73 1303S earlier this morning, and I found out some urgent things to fix. First of all, Whenever I accelerate suddenly, I can feel a strong gas odor. I tried to find the source of the smell with both nose and eyes, and it just keeps avoiding me. When i open the trunk, there's a slight varnish smell, but not gas. There's no gas leaking onto the asphalt, the smell is not to be found in the engine compartment (just some minor oil leaks). and with my nose against the unbooted emergency brake I just can't find it. It looks like there's a ghost trying to bother me. Any clues?

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

Hiya Karls,

First of all know that it doesn't take much gas to release THAT smell. Even less in an enclosed space like your trunk. If you couple a very very small leak with a rotten hood seal you can get exactly the condition you describe. So.........I'd do this........... check your hood seal and make sure that it is doing its job. If not, get a new one. Secondly, I'd clear out the trunk (everything that's not permanenetly attached - including the spare) and shoot it with the high pressure hose down at the car wash. My guess is that this will temporarily take care of the smell. However, if that smell comes back (and it's likely to do just that) then you'll need to carefully examine and perhaps replace (probably in this order) your tank filler tube, your rubber vent lines, the tank itself, or the gas cap.

Reply to
Bookwus1

Thanks for your help. Indeed The hood seal is messed up and will need replacement. This afternoon i'll take the super to the car wash. Then I'll just wait for the odor to reapear, and when (if) that happens, I'll check the tank and replace all lines and hoses.

I just hope that does it, because I'm really sensitive to that kind of smell

Thanks again for your help

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

Sounds like the gas tank vapor lines are either disonnected or need repalcement due to age. The originals had a kind of felt/cloth covering and used crimped clamps.

They can look OK but still be porous and cause quite a stink.

=================================

" ..... I ain't no bandleader!!"

Reply to
Jack Woltz

Crimped clamps? all my lines have screwed clamps...hmmm....how can I verify they are porous? They look ok except for the cloth covering which is braking in the ends.

Is there a better replacement? steel braided or something like that?

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

If the vapor lines (about 1/4 inch wide, and run to a plastic tube under the windscreen/cowl area) look old, grimey, have frayed ends, etc. then it is a safe bet that they could do with replacement. Fuel line is cheap stuff, as are clamps.

The lines can look OK / solid, but have un seen cracks. Take a length out, and fold it tightly upon itself. It may damp/moist from gas. Try to twist it apart to see if it will tear/break.

Again, fuel line is cheap, even if you need to buy 10 feet. Unless you can tell for certain your existing lines are new/sound, it's a good idea to relplace them.

=================================

" ..... I ain't no bandleader!!"

Reply to
Jack Woltz

Good, then I'll just get new ones and replace them. If the odor is still there after that, I'll check everything else. Thanks for your help.

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

My 79 had a fuel odor especially so when cornering with anything more than a half tank. The fix turned out to be simply replacing the fuel cap as the old one's seal had deteriorated allowing fumes to escape. So far...this has been my easiest and least expensive repair. GaryT

Reply to
GaryT

Hmmm....now that i remember...the smell is stronger when cornering...... I'll replace that too...anyway I was going to replace everything that looks slightly damaged.

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

I had same problem of smell even after I replaced all the hoses. It turned out to be the gas cap that was letting gas out on the outside of the car when going around a corner with a fairly full tank.

Reply to
Ken