Pictures of John Reid adventures

Oh maaan, I want to quit my job now!

Eduardo Kaftanski wrote in this friggin' newsgroup:

Reply to
Ant

John, currently waiting for a new set of valves in PuntaArenas, Chile, sent me some pictures. They are now thumbnailed and up in

Enjoy... PS. Kombi had a burned number 1 exhaust valve, a severly wasted set of valve guides and compression down to 75psi in that cylinder. The rest were 125psi all around...

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski

Eduardo and everyone else here,

Thanks for all your advice, it is that which has got us this far!

A little background if you're interested. We started in Santiago, Chile and have travelled down to Ushuaia, Argentina, the most southerly town in the world. We still have a long way to go. Most of the photos are of the Carretera Austral, a 1200 km gravel road connecting the remoter parts of Chile.

Thanks again,

John & Kathryn.

Reply to
John Reid

Not a lot of traffic down there...

Where's this

with thekind of cylindrical peak poking up from behind the mountains to theright of the Kombi? Ant wrote in news:c25fi5$l8t$ snipped-for-privacy@news.tudelft.nl:

Nice lookin' asparagus, too.

Reply to
cloud8

How realible are brazilian made busses? what range of prices can you expect?

Ant

Eduardo Kaftanski wrote in this friggin' newsgroup:

Reply to
Ant

I have missed earlier threads on this trip, but what sort of Bus is that? A Bay window with double doors and early style T handle rear door?? What a trippy Bay. I guess its a Brazillian made Bus?? What year? BTW, the pictures are way cool. Keep posting your progress. Taking a long trip in a Bus is 1/2 the adventure (and I speak form experience).

--Dan E

Reply to
Braukuche

1987 brazilian made panel bus. 1600 dual port type 1 engine...
Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski

Nope, not much traffic.

That's Cerro Catedral next to the Carretera Austral, just south of Coyhaique in Chile. It's not the most dramatic picture I have of it, but it's the best with the VW in it.

I know this is kind of a long link but it might work.

It's just next to Cerro Pato.

John.

Reply to
John Reid

John, please read my email.. Aparicio is trying to contact you...

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski

They are a bit stripped down... heater sucks and engine is single relief, but they are otherwise normal busses...

They cost around US$1200/1600

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski

All I know is it's an '87 Brazilian Type 211. I have the VIN, chassis & engine numbers although I haven't deciphered them yet.

Quite a lot of the adventure so far has been visiting mechanics. Not too many seem to be as good as they say at understanding the engine. My girlfriend is starting to come to terms with this now. Anyway we have a long time in S America and a few delays aren't the end of the world.

The engine's finally been taken out to have new valve guides and valves on one of the cylinders. I hope we won't have too many more problems with the power now.

I'll send Eduardo some more pictures when we have them. We're off trekking in Torres Del Paine next so it might be a while.

Where did you do a long trip in a bus?

John.

Reply to
John Reid

My wife and I drove a '68 hardtop Westy from San Diego, Ca up the coast to Vancouver over a 10 day period and back of course. Then more recently we took our '68 Westy poptop up the coast and over to Tahoe and back. Worse thing that ever happened was a broken accelerator cable in the first case and a diz that poped out of the drive on the second. Fixed both problems on the road.

--Dan E

Reply to
Braukuche