pinging sounds

I've been driving and working on aircooled cars for over 10 years now, and I still consider myself a newbie in a lot of ways. I've done a lot of work over the years, and am still learning.

I've heard a lot in this NG about pinging, and how people can hear their motors doing it, ect.

What does this pinging sound like? I'm not sure if I've ever heard it, I may have at sometime in my aircooled life, but am not sure. Does anyone have a .wav file or something I can listen to so I can identify this sound?

TIA,

Rob in Salt Lake

RobTaylor

Pinging, "detonation" as it's often called too (as erroneus as it may be) is a nasty little beast. Mostly because

a) like you said, if you haven't heard it before, knowing what you are hearing, you don't necessarily recognize it when it occurs

b) you CAN'T always hear it!

Imagine hearing a sound from the engine, under heavy load, low or mid rpms, sounding like a small washer or ball bearing got sucked into the engine and now happily bounces around in there, most likely on top of the piston. Add more metallic effect to the sound.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

actually, it's called pre-detonation:

"The undesirable "knock" or "ping" that occurs when the ignition of the air-fuel mixture occurs before the ignition spark."

The Queen of Cans and Jars

wait, those are two different things causing the same effect.

"pre-detonation" comes about when the mixture is ignited off a too hot a sparkplug tip or some other sharp corner which is the fault of either over-heating or other sort of critical temperature/pressure of the chamber itself.

"Knock" is the resultant effect.

You can cause "knock" by advancing your timing too far such that the flame front is banging the piston on the way up to TDC. This condition is at detonation rather than before it.

Reply to
David Gravereaux

Dieseling (ignition off but the engine still runs) is pre-detonation in action. But I've never had a bug do it, but had an old ford station wagon (v-8) that did. And got around 5 miles to the gallon, too.

Reply to
David Gravereaux

my '67 bug diesels a bit, but that's only because my fuel shut-off valve is shot :)

Reply to
The Queen of Cans and Jars

thanks for the clarification, David.

Reply to