points causing periodic stalling

Hi all. My 72 SB had a 1600 DP with the 009 and weber progressive carb. It runs great, but at idle I get a periodic "stutter", and sometimes it will just stall. When it does stall and won't restart, i found that if I just take of the distributor cap and rotor and open and close the points by hand, it will restart. When I hook up the dwell meter, the dwell is perfectly at 50 during idle, but when it stutters it jumps to 0 before either recovering or stalling. Obviously something's up with my points, but they are brand new (as is the condensor), clearly well adjusted. Any ideas?

Reply to
locke1064

Genuine Bosch points?

Try this experiment: Take points out and pass a fine file between them. Just enough to rough up the contact surface.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Yes, they are genuine Bosch. I'll clean 'em up as you say. What do you think is happening? are they sticking open? I am thinking of going to the SVDC anyways, and might just get the petronics to eliminate points once and for all. Linus

Reply to
locke1064

what kind of coil are you running? make sure it has a resistor(internal or external), or you may be momentarily welding the points shut without the resistor....

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

FYI I just had to repair an AC engine with the electronic ignition and a dead miss. It was the electronic ignition causing a no-spark. Magnets were all there and so was the miss. That engine got points and more power!

I have seen only 3 electronic ignitions on ACVWs and this was the only one with a problem.

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

I had some similar issues with my 71 Std. I installed a Pertronix ignition to replace the points. It really does work great and eliminates issues that you have with points. Points pit and get worse over time, changing the timing, dwell, and everything else about the ignition system, like a chain reaction. You can make up your own mind, if you want to get rid of the points and go with an electronic point replacement (some call it electronic ignition). I would suggest reading what others have to say about it on this board. It is defiantly in the top 5 things I would do to a bug to bring it into the

21st century, to make my life easier, and cut back on maintenance. I'm sure some people stick with the points and will disagree, but you will never find yourself wondering if your points are going bad, adjusting the points, dwell and timing. Just install it and forget it. I'm not a mechanic and would rate the install as very easy.

Hope this helps, John

Reply to
Jakalope