Poor acceleration problem in fourth

Hey all, I've been noticing with my '60 ragtop that it doesn't have as much zip as my '66 'vert. They both have new 1600s, with the difference being that the '66 has a single port with a 30/31 Pict and sinlge vac diz and the '60 has a dual port with a 34 PICT and the push/pull diz. I think they are both timed correctly,

5ATDC for the '60, though who knows if the carb is adjusted proper. I used the technique described by Jan and the car idles fine and travels well on the freeway. THe problem is acceleration. WHen I "punch" the pedal there is a very gradual increase in speed. I can't say hesitation, just a very unresponsive throttle especially at speed. On long grades it has a more difficult time holding speed compared to my '66. The 60 is supposed to have a "freeway flyer" trans in it, at least according to the PO. Could the taller gearing account for the difference in response, especially in third and fourth or could it be a maladjusted carb? Thanks for any ideas.

--Dan E

Reply to
Braukuche

Did you compare the speed of the vehicle and rpm of the engine between both of the Beetles? I vote for that trans and you may have to downshift to put the engine in a better power range! Oh and what air filters are you running with them? The oil bath or you switched to paper? Try the oil bath air filter if you changed the '60, or try the paper if you didn't. ;-)

later, dave

unresponsive

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Your taller gearing will have a noticeable effect on pulling power in

4th gear. Colin
Reply to
Colin

"Braukuche" wrote

Heyyyy ... waaaait a minute ... In the `A Rant About Lowering Buses' thread, you said this:

"The "keep it stock" crowd, which I am proudly a member, ... "

Them there 1600s don't sound stock to me. Sorry, Dan ... couldn't resist. :-)

Reply to
Scott H

Aaaaarrrrrrgh, my Achilles Heel has been exposed. But hey, the 1600 was stock...in 1968...I'm just a little ahead of my time??

--Dan E

Reply to
Braukuche