Pop Top Question/Problem

Hi all,

I have a '68 Westy that I am in the process of undoing the previous owners McGyvers. I have one question and one problem regarding the camper top.

First the question. Should the top of the canvas be attached to the inside of the mounting strip (1x2 fiberglassed to the inside bottom of the top) or the outside of the mounting strip?

Now the problem. When the front hinges (the ones with the springs that hold the top open) are attached to the roof using the factory holes, the top will not close all the way. If the hinges are moved toward the rear of the bus and the front hole in the hinge is atttached to the rear hole in the roof (the rear hole in the hinge now has no corresponding hole in the roof) the top closes. This is how it was attached when I purchased it.....WTF??

Reply to
Fish

Fish,

I think I have some old workshop manuals that have some detail on this area. Give me some time to go looking!

Grahame from Australia

Reply to
Grahame Rumballe

Thanks Grahame,

You Rock!!

A quick story. My sink/ice box unit was "McGyvered" with the wrong sink and I couldn't find one that fit. So I bought another sink/ ice box unit (same year, different model). Kept my cabinet/ice box, extended the cabinet 5" so the sink from the unit I bought would fit. Used the water tank from the unit I bought as the original was cracked, rerouted the plumbing so I wouldn't have to punch another hole in the floor. Haven't test fit it yet, but since I used the cabinet that came out of the bus and routed everything to fit the existing openings, it should work fine.

I'll send a picture when it's done.

Reply to
Fish

OK, have my manuals. There are sections on the Type 2 - Campmobile A 12 Steel sliding roof & Campmobile: Front hinged roof, Pop-up roof, Side hinged roof

What roof do you have? When you say "I have a '68 Westy" is this "USA Speak" for a VW Factory conversion? or is it the Westfalia conversion? or are they the same?

Grahame from Australia

Reply to
Grahame Rumballe

Same thing...... I think. My roof is hinged at the front of the van and opens in the middle. Does that help?

Reply to
Fish

I know there were severaly hinges used, and it is common practice to retrofit the stronger 73 only hinges to earlier models. Having never done the retro, however, I do not know if it a direct fit or if the mounts differ resulting in what you are experiencing. I did a quick search and found the following which shows the years but doesn't clearly answer my (and your) question.

Poptop Hinges by Karl von Salzen

ALL 68 to 79 WESTY hinges are steel where they mount to the body and the top. 68-72 westy hinges had tubular supports made of aluminum, but the mounting parts are steel.

Only the 68-73 front hinged pop tops used rubber tie downs. Never on a

75 WESTY.

68-73 hinges are shorter and are not flat along the bottom. They are curved to fit the contour of the front of the roof. They are 18 3/4" long. They have 3 bolts holding them to the roof, and 2 holding them to the top.

68-72 have tubular supports, they are weak and bend. 73 only are have flat stock steel, like 74+. Stronger. 68 are one-year-only. They attached to the top using countersunk wood screws.

The top ripped off real easy! Starting in 69, VW used carriage bolts that went thru the top. The hinge is now flat where the nut and lockwasher sit. 68 only is not flat, has a raised circle where the counter-sunk screw goes. Also, 68 was the only year that VW put a vinyl strip between the paint and the hinge.

74-79 hinges are 23 1/2" long. 3 bolts hold it to the roof and 3 bolts on the top.
Reply to
Gary Tateosian

Wrong hinges. My fault, I am likely using the wrong lingo. I am not referring to the pivot or "x" hinges. I am having trouble with the spring hinges that actually hold the top in the open position.

Thanks for the info though. I appreciate your input.

Reply to
Fish

They are called "bellows"

Have found some info for you - will scan and send

Grahame from Australia

Reply to
Grahame Rumballe

Thanks. You Da Man:)