Possibly found a very cheap paint stripper..

Not sure who here is on theSamba as well, so thought this is worth repeating here:

Purely by accident someone's wife on TheSamba stripped paint with this "power dissolver" made by Dawn. The plus side is that there does not seem to be much of a smell, takes very little quantity to do work, is easily bought at HomeDepot and is also very cheap.

Here's the scoop:

Remco

Reply to
Remco

I read the product reviews at:

its designed purpose of removing baked-on food, the reviewers either love it or hate it. More than one reviewer complained about the smell indoors. Here's what one reviewer wrote: "On the label, Dawn tells us that this product is meant for dishes, pots and pans, stoves, ovens, and grills, as a pretreater for baked- and burned-on grease. It is not meant for painted surfaces such as range hoods or the front of dishwashers, copper, scratched "non-stick" surfaces, or varnished wood. For painted surfaces, it says you can try it in a hidden area since painted metal quality varies.

Dawn also tells us the active ingredients are biodegradable alkalines. According to the label, it contains no phosphates."

Since it's "not meant for painted surfaces" (implying that it removes paint), that sounds like just what we want it for.

Randall

Reply to
Randall Post

Well, remove paint it does with a vengeance.

Last night whatever I had sprayed had dried up so I resprayed and put cellophane over it, to help it stay moist and thus active. This morning the paint just slithered off. Just slight scraping on what was left with a painter's tool, I had it down to bare metal - the OG paint is definitely better than whatever was slapped on there but it did come right off. So using cellophane helps it.

Since it is all still wet, It will probably all come off very easily with some steel wool.

Once whatever company makes it figures out it is a great paint stripper, they'll probably relabel it and sell it for $20 a bottle. :)

Remco

Reply to
Remco

At 12.8 ounces, Dawn Power Dissolver is probably not cost effective for big paint removing jobs compared to Klean Strip Aircraft Stripper:

't let the $6.24 per quart (32 oz.) cost of Aircraft Stripper fool you; youalso have to pay shipping and a hazardous product fee, but still -- 32 oz. is2.5 times bigger than 12.8 oz. You can also buy it in the gallon size. One advantage of Power Dissolver is that it is biodegradeable.

Randall

Reply to
Randall Post

Right - aircraft stripper is definitely nasty stuff. I have tried it and it reminded me of the really nasty furniture strippers out there. Sniffing some of that stuff makes you see pink elephants real quick. Chemical smells tend to give me a headache and this Dawn stuff does not.

I think this stuff being readily available, cheap and for home use makes it attractive. At first, it was unknown whether it is dangerous, but we've pretty much ruled that out (someone on theSamba found the Materials Handling Sheet - it is pretty benign).

For stripping furniture, I have been using this stuff made out of orange peels. It works well, is not caustic and dangerous, actually smells nice but is quite expensive. I'd like to see if this Dawn stuff is a viable alternative for it.

Just another tool in our inventory, I guess.

Remco

Reply to
Remco

Very cool. I frequent TheSamba but hadn't seen this since I mostly hang out in the Bay Window Bus forum.

Reply to
CMM

You shouldn't have to be mail ordering that stuff, any good auto parts store will have it.>

***
Reply to
Ben Boyle

Before I sent my post below, I called the auto paint supply store I had bought Aircraft Stripper from previously, and they said a quart costs $14! That's when the mail order price got my attention.

Randall

Ben Boyle wrote:

Reply to
Randall Post

What happens when it is combined with the paint that it has taken off?

Reply to
One out of many Daves

Good question and I have no idea.It can't be a whole lot worse than airplane stripper, imo.

If push came to shove, there are ways to analyze those fumes but would mean I need take the fender into work one day, collect the gas sample and push it through a stack of equipment (we make atomic analyzers, gas chromatographers and mass spectrometers - lab equipment you might see in those forensic crime TV shows to see what a chemical composition might be). To practically analyze the fumes might take a couple of hours.

So it probably not worth it - I say we use it with some common sense (open air, gloves and goggles).

Reply to
Remco