pre-68 microbus infos needed!

Hello all!

I might be interested in having a new split window bus project. I previously had a 1972 Super which was a somewhat easy project but the bus might prove more to be more involving...

First, I heard those barely go to 60 mph. What mods can be done to up this to say 65 or 70 mph? That's the difference between enough and not enough! :)

So far I heard about "freeway flyer" transaxle (or is it the 4th gear only?), 1968 Beetle "straight axle" or IRS axle transplant.

Anyone could write about or steer me to relevant infos web pages on that subject?

Am I right to think that the reduction boxes were there to accomodate the smaller 1300 and 1500 engines and that a 1600 or biger would have enogh ooomph to push the bus without the reductions boxes? Did the

68-71 buses had them?

On to another matter, sad pictures of my previous, now burned down '72 Super are now online at

Eric Desrochers

Eric, Some of the eraly busses were slow but once you get to the 1500 and 1600 engines, they're not that bad. I have a 63 Camper that has a 67 Bus transaxle in it and it will go 80+ if I want to be scared to death in Dallas traffic - or at least it would when it was running. Previously it had a bug transaxle with flopped ring and pinion for the same effect. 67 was the last year for reductution boxes. I never a had any problem with them so I left them alone. Andy

Reply to
Busman

Hi Eric,

Sad Photos....I glad you are going for new project. Good luck for it.

Joao

Joao Eliseu

I have a '67 bus. It tachs 3700rpm at 65mph. I have a counter-balanced crank in it so if I feel like going 75, I don't feel it is too much of a strain. 75mph is about 4200 on the tachometer.

Reply to
Bob

The drive train is not modified in any way from stock?

Reply to
Eric Desrochers

My '67 bus is about the exact same from a tach standpoint.

1600 single port.

Stock transmission with reduction boxes.

I only rarely go above 60, though, I've just learned to plan my time better, and not have to hurry to anyplace I plan on going to. :)

For engine life, the general consensus seems to be that going over about

3200RPM for long periods of time will greatly shorten your engine life. I put the motor in my bus together in either 1999 or 2000, and 60,000+ miles later it has yet to leak oil, or given me any sort of problem, but I always have kept it at or under around 3K on the tach, and of course religious maintenance helped.

YMMV, of course. :)

Reply to
Eric Oster

The transmission is stock with the stock reduction gears. The '67 has

195/75-14 tires. They are wider than the 15" tires of the older busses but I don't think they are taller. My engine is a 1776 with a 2bbl carburetor. It has about 20k miles on it. I live in Wyoming and every trip I take is 100+ miles one way. In the winter time (10 months out of the year) it will cruise at 65-70 with no problems. In the summer, I like to keep it around 55-60 because excess speed generates more heat. I have an oil temperature gage. I like to keep my oil at 230 tops. - Bob

Reply to
Bob

Thanks all! This is good news! It's not like I intend to race the thing, but I frequently travel along other VWs campers, mostly bay window, so I at least want to keep the pace with them.

I may buy a 67 Westy, originally from Florida but now in my cold, salty Canada! :)

The bus is solid but would need a good body refreshing job. Worst problem on it seem to be the front doors, louver windows and door pop-out windows : none of them are closing tight now. Seals are either pretty beat up or not there! You see outside from nearly all of them! I see that seals kits are available to rebuilt the louver and pop-up window so it might not be a big issue...

Reply to
Eric Desrochers

My first bus was a 2l bay. Did 100mph quite well. I was new to VW's in those days. Needless to say, that engine doesnt work anymore. I have now become acustomed to aircooled and am very happy to drive all day at 65mph in my 64 split. Just Chill and enjoy !

You can go faster, but not for long !

Rich

Eric Desrochers wrote:

Reply to
tricky

pop-up

Reply to
bill may

bill may

A so called FreewayFlyer is the quickest way to toast your engine, higher load and slower fan speed, you do the math(or applied logics..). This especially in a heavy T2.

J.

Reply to
P.J. Berg