Pretty much HATING my 67 Bus ..

It's taken about 4 months of being screwed over by anyone who had anything to do with my bus for me to start HATING IT and wanting to just unload it.

I WEAR A "KICK ME" sign on my back !!!

Won't rehash all the screw jobs I got in the beginning, but want to share with you the last two.

1) Found another body guy ..great price, nice work. The shop where I bought the bus and had it reassembled was KIND ENOUGH to let this body guy with no shop use their shop to do the body work on my bus for $100.

So the guy did the front .. I showed you that .. and the following day when he was supposed to be working on MY BUS .. the shop owner STOLE HIM FROM ME and had him working on my old bus, the 71 .. so now the 71 bus looks like new and my new one looks like shit ...Then they have the nerve to say "look diane, look how great your old bus looks .. " To which I replied F U. and after blowing my top, the shop owner says "but this is my shop diane, and so I decide what gets done and when."

BUT IT DIDN'T END THERE .. oh no ...

2) Remember the clunk ?? They all say "don't worry .. it is nothing .. " and then there was this tiny oil leak .. they say .. "don't worry .. it is nothing... remember .. VW's don't leak oil they just leave ... " I interrupted them to say "but this is a NEW ENGINE and I don't want to see it dripping oil .. FIND THE LEAK AND FIX IT !!"

So they decide it is coming from the rear main seal .. pull the engine and you know that THUMP .. the "don't worry it is nothing THUMP??" Well .. That "don't worry it is nothing THUMP apparently was a broken motor mount or who knows what .. but my NEW ENGINE has a cracked block .. They are fixing it for free .. but still .. I AM PISSED OFF ..

Maybe I will just put the damn thing on eBay and buy a NEW CAR ..

Diane

Reply to
::: Diane aka JeWitchT :::

Oh dear...it sounds like you are having a bit of a bad run of luck....hopefully they will get it sorted cheaply, so you can enjoy owning a bus. I would almost give my left testicle to own a 67 bus, so I hope its worth it in the end. Can you not learn how to do some of it yourself?...They are NOT rocket Science? I regularly teach people here, about their vehicles, and they are so surprised how simple they are, and wonder why they paid others so much to do the work, plus it is so rewarding when having done the work on your own vehicle yourself?

Neil

Reply to
Neil

Only one piece of advise for someone buying a 1967 car of any kind today.: Do the work yourself ! If you do not know how to, learn! Mechanics hate working on older vehicles, nothing is standard anymore, been tampered with by a 100 P.O's.

It is either that or lip up and pay the bill, preferably to someone "in the know" doing a complete restoration.

J.

Reply to
BergRace

Reply to
Ben Boyle

Ben , Yes you do. Start off by learning to change the oil yourself. Have somebody come over & talk you through it if you have to. -G.

Reply to
still in primer

Uh Oh! Sounds like a fork in the road... One of three things is going to happen now.

  1. You sell the bus and get something newer that is more 'dependable' that someone else can work on. OR
  2. You start working on it yourself learning by doing. OR
  3. You find another person to get your hopes up about restoring it and get taken again.

You sound as if you are more of an independant person than a dependant person. Getting that 'dependable' vehicle will not get you more independance as you will still be relying on others to do your maintenance. So the only real way of getting more independant is to do the work yourself. If you say you don't have what it takes your eyes must be brown as you are full of

****. If you are really too scared to start on it yourself take a class at the local votech / career center. If you can't find one call up the local high school and ask about it or ask a nieghbor high school kid.

I'll start the bidding just in case it's #1 I'll give you one dollar! I really want a bus project after my '77 baja and '66 ??? projects... Next bidder...

4play (@\|/@)(.\~/.)
with you the last two.>
Reply to
(O\|/O)(.\~/.)

Diane

I don't mean to add to the litany of "I told you so's", but if true you'd have the only VW ever built that has a rear main seal !

Tom Take the covers off to send email

Reply to
Oldbie

what do you call it? i have always refered to the one seal behind the flywheel as the rear main seal,should it be called the flywheel seal??(serious question) russ

you'd have the only VW ever

Reply to
Russ

On Sun, 03 Aug 2003 04:44:46 GMT, "Russ" ran around screaming and yelling:

on a front engine, rearwheeldrive vehicle it would indeed be the"rear main" seal...and that is also what they have become known as, but if you actually think about it, why would the *rear* main seal be in the

*front* of the engine?....in acvw's it is known as the "flywheel seal" or crankshaft seal...the type 1 only has *one* crankshaft seal so there should be no confusion... J
Reply to
Joey Tribiani