Proper alternator mounting tin orientation?

Hi all, I am replacing my alternator. After attaching the new one to the mounting tin(the circular part with 4 ears for attaching screws, between the alternator and the fan) and preparing to bolt it to the doghouse, I noticed a vent along one edge. Obviously I did not notice this when I disassembled it. Apparently the alternator sucks or blows air through it for it's own cooling. The problem is it could be reinstalled 2 ways, straight up 0 -or- down 180. I believe it would work either way, but which way is proper? I'm guessing down, to keep any splashing water from entering by gravity from the top. Thanks, Rick O., '73 Thing

Reply to
me

Straight down.

Jan