Pulled rear drums to do brakejob, all of a sudden, a seal leak???

I pulled the rear drums off my 70 swingaxle bug by loosening the big

217 ft. lb. nut, in order to do a brake job. I assembled the one side WITHOUT torquing the big nut back on and left it to attend to other jobs. After about 5 days, I noticed that the axle seal had weeped out enough tranny fluid to drip once onto the ground. Now this has never leaked before, so I'm assuming that loosening the big nut allowed the seal to "relax" somewhat. When I tighten it back up, I'm hoping this will stop the leak. Am I kidding myself? Seems weird that it would leak when it's never leaked before just because I loosened the castle nut. Thanks, Courtney
Reply to
Courtney

It may not be the oil seal. There are 2 O-rings plus gaskets which all interact to perform the sealing.

This page of my web site:

Look for the swingaxle article. Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Great questions on auto repair. How about, learning how to make your old car get better gas milage and stop exhuast pullution. Would you buy product. Check out the second url below. I use it on my 34ft motorhome ,does out standing job, gives me 4 miles per gal more. Got question call me.

Reply to
timshores