Push Rod Tubes

Hello All, I have to replace some leaking push rod tubes. Any suggestions or comments on spring loaded versus "screw" type?. Any best avoided? tia John

Reply to
John

JMHO from Best - Good

Original 1 piece metal properly stretched to 7.5" IIRC Metal 2 piece that screw apart Plastic spring loaded

BTW are the cylinder head nuts properly torqued down?

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Thanks Dave. Not sure about heads torqueds properly or not. 1970 T3 auto squareback thats never had engine/transmission out!. Wouldn,t like to guess how many miles on the old girl. It would certainly be wise as you suggest to check torque if I,ve got it down that far. Cheers John

Reply to
John

Avoid those nylon spring loaded tubes, they are only for temporary emergency fixes.

MOST tubes, regardless of design, leak.

Aircooled.net supposedly has the best tubes available:

I have not tried these before, but they would probably be my next tubes.

Jan

Reply to
Jan

available:

These look a lot like the original (ie, pre-WWII) VW push-rod tubes.

-Bob Hoover

Reply to
BobHoover

My bus engine came with Scat spring loaded tubes. If I use the seals that come in a generic gasket kit, they don't leak. If I use the more expensive silicon gaskets, the springs apply too much tension to them and they leak. I have a new supply of stock tubes for the next time I pull the heads. My bug engine has the stock tubes and they are the easiest to install and they don't leak with the silicon gaskets

Reply to
Robert

I have aircooled.net tubes, they don't leak. I've also put some permatex onto the seals just the on the round part that mates with case/head.

Reply to
anton