Question about 77 steering rebuild

What is the recommended way to rebuild a front end? Is the complete tie rod replacement easier than just doing ball joints? I assume that an alignment would be needed either way. A local shop quoted $1000.00 for rebuilding tie rod ends and bushing and replacing the steering box. Seems steep to me. Is this something a beginner should even think about or should I let the pros do it?

Reply to
info

This would be on a Standard (ball joint beam) front end?

Is it a known fact that the box needs replacement? What "bushing"?

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

It is a standard 77 beetle with ball joints. I feel some play in the steering but it doesn't seem too bad. They also mentioned that someone had put a sway bar on the front that was rubbing and had to go. I don't really know enough about this. I have had the car for two years and it seems to be somewhat loose but not bad. I am ordering some books (Bentley) but I thought the ball joints might be too much for me to do. Thanks for your help.

Reply to
info

Ah. Ball joints is a different matter from tie rod ends. Worn ball joints usually won't be felt as play in the steering. Tie rod ends *might*, but they would have to be badly worn.

Here's how to tell if the box is at fault: Have someone rock the steering wheel in the free play range. You get underneath and watch the Pitman arm (output shaft) on the box. If the Pitman stays still, all the play is in the box and not in anything else.

How much play is there? About 1" of play at the wheel O.D. is acceptable. The box is adjustable but the adjustments can't cure worn internal parts.

The sway bar in front is a stock feature from the factory.

Wait till you get your Bentley and study the excellent section on the front end. I think you may be getting poor advice from the "mechanic".

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Balljoints take special tooling to remove/insert, unless you really know how to improvise. I have done it the hard way, but would not recomend it for the faint of heart. Or are you referring to the tierod balljoints? If so, they are not hard to replace, you can even do a toe in/out job yourself with a tape measure, really!

What you could do is to buy refurbished trailing arms, I seem to remember

selling these. Then it is much more of a bolt on/off job.

Not sure about the steering box, I seem to remember they are not considered as adjustable(the latter ones), but can be tweaked somewhat.

J.

Reply to
P.J.Berg

Could be an aftermarket sway bar he is referring to, as in thicker "Performance part". They very often come with lousy hardware and bushings.

J,

Reply to
P.J.Berg