Question: Engine case painting

Can I paint my engine case? If so, any particular colors best (for heat transfer)? Or worst? If not, why? Thanks.

Art Imerito 69 Bug Resto-custom

Reply to
BIG ART 330

On 06 Oct 2004 16:59:39 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (BIG ART 330) scribbled this interesting note:

Hope this helps...

John Willis

I've painted my engine case (cases). Choose dark colors (I have used black and dark blue respectively) and make sure it is not High-Heat paint. Just normal Rustoleum engine paint will do fine.

Do a good job of masking (use that blue painter's masking tape). Make sure to mask sealing areas such as the case mating surfaces as well as the area where the cylinders seal down. I also suggest that you mask the entire flywheel area so that you can do some easier diagnosis in case some cracks occur or whatever.

The key is to put just enough paint (the thinnest coat you can create) to make the engine look nice. You don't want to slather that paint all over the case and end up with a heat insulated case.

Geoffe Elias '74 Super Beetle

Reply to
geoffers

I had very good results with the paint made for BBQ grills.

~Troy

Reply to
Bugzilla

I would not paint it. Later on, when you spray engine cleaner on it, it will remove some of the paint and it will look worse than if you painted it. If it comes with a yellowish green selaer, leave it on.

Reply to
Sleepy Joe