Question for Bob Hoover and the rest of the VW gurus

I'm about to start rebuilding my 1200cc motor. I've done a lot of research, read a few books (including the Bentley Bible),and watched a few engine rebuilding videos. There seems to be some difference of opinion concerning the rear main seal. Some advocate applying glue on the outer edge of the seal so as to glue it in the case. I most often see Gasgacinch advocated as the glue of choice. The advocates of this method claim that it reduces the chances of leakage of the rear main seal. On the other hand, the VW shop manual mentions nothing along this line and it appears that VW never intended to glue in the rubber rear main seal. In general I am very reluctant to deviate from the VW shop manual, however I can see that it is possible that improved methods have been developed with an additional 40 years of experience with these engines. I curious as to what Bob and the other VW gurus think of this issue.

Reply to
Leopold Stotch

I,ve always used a gasket sealant, mostly as it helps installing as it acts as a lubricant. Its probably strictly not needed as its a fairly tight fit into housing. John

Reply to
John

I have used sealant that won't harden as it dries, and I have also used just a thin wipe of oil, and also installed them dry. I don't think it makes much of a difference, it's nice to have something to lubricate the seal during assembly to avoid cuts and nicks that could otherwise cause leaks. To protect the seal during assembly, I think DRY is the worst thing you could do? Then again, too much sealant would squeeze the excess into the oil drain hole, potentially blocking it.

On occasion I have come across main seals that have a bare metal outer body. Dumb. Never use one in a VW. They won't seal worth a damn. One was sold to me new by a parts store, and I returned it. One I dug out of a leaking engine. So they are out there.

I also don't like the aftermarket silicone (funny colored) seals. German , original type black seals seem to work best.

Reply to
Jan Andersson

I'm with Jan either a wipe oil or better a wipe of aviation permitex(you can get it at most parts stores). make sure to counter sink it and not just flush on the block edge.

Reply to
Kafertoys

The original poster asked for gurus, not thieving, stealing con artists. And bondo can't be used to seal an engine.

Reply to
ryan68bug

Seal an engine???...I bet he could attempt to build an engine out of the stuff?

Reply to
Neil

Neil wrote: ...

Naah, he'd use JB weld.

Reply to
David Gravereaux

Reply to
LoveBus

A THIN Coat of nonHardening permitex will help it seat and give that little bit extra protection to stop leaks. Just don't glob it on as it will clog the oil return hole as mentioned before. I's also best to use a seal installer so you don=92t deform the seal. Another place that may help in your rebuild

LoveBus

Why do we not simply ignore Mario and instead of writing here, we inform the authorities in his state of his felonious business.

Or just send Guido out there to take care of business.

He's sucking away keystrokes.

No?

Reply to
John J

don't read his posts if you don't want to.... Many frown on replying to him just as they frown on off topic subjects....

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

lol its really is becoming all about me

Reply to
Kafertoys

no it's all about your wonderful work, silly.... now, again, what place did you "win" with the skimmed over vert? I'm sure you won't answer..... again.... you are quick to brag on half stories... give it all to us... the truth... if you can actually muster that..

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

In this "friendship", were you the pitcher or catcher?

Reply to
Scott H

snipped-for-privacy@aol.comhttp://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=96792http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=troubleshooter&id=5665438

?v=tf5_tHPLYYY Every time I read Mario's blather it reminds me of how grateful I am that I am an honest, reputable and good person; I'd hate going through life as a douche bag, f*****ad pile of llama shit.

Reply to
ryan68bug

looks like your going thru life as a whiney little bitch

Reply to
Kafertoys