Questions about water-cooled conversions

Hello everyone....

I am a former Type I owner who ended up moving to larger and more modern cars for reasons of practicality. However, my situation has changed, and now I again have the flexibility to have a 'fun' car again - and I am seriusly considering getting a Ghia as a daily driver...

BUT (there is always a but) it still has to be *practical* (or close anyways)... and the things I need for practicality seem elusive:

1) Reliable! Don;t care about performance, but has to work well.

2) HEAT! I need heat. Real heat! Where I live, it is often -30 in the winter, and if I buy a Ghia, as sacreligious as it may be, I'm using it

365 days a year.

3) A/C. Not a absolute, esp. if I snag a vert', but I'd really like it. Where I spend my summers it is often +35 or warmer! Humid to boot!

Anyhow, getting #1 doesn't seem TOO hard, but #2 seems very tricky and #3 neigh impossible... Looking around, however, I do see some poeple have done water cooled conversions on Beetles & busses, with apparent success. Mind you, most ofthese people are using Subaru 1.6's and going for performance. Not what I am looking for really. Dream scenario, for me, would be to take the engine, heating, and A/C system from a 97~2001 Geo/Chevey Metro or Pontiac Firefly and dump it into the back of a Ghia. The engine is a 1.0 litre 55hp 3 Cylinder in-line engine, with electronic throttle body fuel injection. The stock radiator looks like a big alcohol flask - the whole setup would have room to spare in the back of an air-cooled VW, and the engine weighs well under 80kg dry. I could see that it would actually probably be a performance increase, and prolly approach the 40mpg it got in a Metro.

The question is, is this practicle, and if it is, where would I get the know-how or labour to do this. Money is, of course, a consideration, but if I can get a nice Ghia, and spend 2 or 3k to make it quiet, quick, and with real heat & A/C, I would do it in a heartbeat.

Any suggestions about the possibility / practibility of this, and how I could make it happen? I ahve heard of people using Mazda rotaries in Type 1's - is this another good option. Also, can these water cooled engines be mated well with stock transmissions? I would like to keep my car as stock as possible, save for the engine, heat, ac and perhaps some seatbelts.

Thanks in advance for any info or advice.

Regards, Anthony

Reply to
Anthony Iannone

................get a miata

Reply to
Tim Rogers

..............Leave the miata engine in the miata and drive it.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Reply to
Tim Rogers

...speaking of sacreligious...

Mathew

Anth> Hello everyone....

Reply to
Mathew

On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 02:56:49 -0500, Anthony Iannone ran around screaming and yelling:

since you only seem to want it to *look* stock, might i suggest a junkyard rescue on a custom tube chasis...this would enable you to do whatever you want to make it more "you"... JT

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

please don't ruin a perfectly good volkswagen - you don't really want one anyhow, according to your list of must-haves. just do what someone else suggested and buy a miata.

Reply to
The Queen of Cans and Jars

That temperature suggests you live in an area like I do with bad winters. The car will rot away before your eyes. Don't buy a Ghia, you want a 30-40 year old car to do things that it cannot possibly do.>

Reply to
Ben Boyle

The car will rot away before your eyes. Don't

.....................he wants a miata.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

On Mon, 5 Jul 2004 16:12:58 -0400, "Tim Rogers" scribbled this interesting note:

Hey, Tim, what kind of car do you think this guy really wants?:~)

John Willis

..............He needs a miata.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Don't listen to the purists, give that Ghia a decent rust-protection, but that watercooled engine in it and have fun! I really like that idea of a small watercooled engine. Maybe a 1000cc engine from a VW Polo (isn't it called Fox in the US, or maybe you don't even have that model... I'm in Europe).

Oh, and talking about rust, get one of these kits:

main page:

Click on "Classic Roadster"....website is in German.....

It's fibreglass, so no worries about rust AND it's a convertible, so no AC needed...

Come to think about it, this is THE solution, you happy, AND the purists happy, you only need the pan of a beetle. No destroying of poor Ghia's.

Greetings, Gerrelt.

Reply to
beetle boy

...damn cool...I haven't seen that kit before. But, ya know, he could just get a Miata...

...Gareth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

..................They actually have airconditioning.........those miatas.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

...........a freaking roadster with airconditioning!

Reply to
Tim Rogers

You are implying that Type 1 engines are unreliable - well, millions of people all over the world have relied on them for years to get them to work and back, my daily driver is a Type 1 and has been more reliable than the water cooled VW's I've owned. If you connect the heater pipes to genuine quality heat exchangers you'll get heat, I have to turn mine off to stop my ankles getting too hot! You can also buy a seperate heater for when it's sub zero. You can't get KG's with air con :-) I wouldn't even think about putting a watercooled engine in it - there's no point really, you'renot really going to gain anything....Like the other posters say, maybe an Mazda MX5 is the best option.

--Steve

Reply to
tunafish

On Tue, 6 Jul 2004 05:52:49 -0400, "Tim Rogers" scribbled this interesting note:

What's wrong with that?

John Willis

On Tue, 6 Jul 2004 16:45:26 -0400, "Tim Rogers" ran around screaming and yelling:

ever sit in traffic on a 95 degree day in a car with the top down?...i have...not really the best time to have a vert.... JT

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 17:28:12 -0400, Joey Tribiani scribbled this interesting note:

Unless it has an air conditioner!:~)

John Willis