questions regarding "idiot" lights

I have a question regarding the "idiot" lights on the dash of my '74 beetle. Specifically the electric (I believe) on the bottom left of the speedo, the oil pressure on the bottom right of the speedo, and I believe the other electric(?) in the dash middle just left of the light switch.

I am wondering what makes these lights come on and at what intensity? I know obviously the oil comes on at low pressure, and it seems to come on often when the engine is hot and been running for quite a while (and obviously the oil thin) and then mostly at stop-lights but goes out when I rev the engine a bit or start moving again. Should I be more concerned that the engine is old and possible poor seals causing this or just old thin oil?

The electric on the left of the speedo seems to go on at odd times. I have installed a volt-meter, hooked across a live 12v line off the fuse block. It is apparent that the volt-meter and the electric light are not measuring the same thing, though I thought they should, as at times the voltmeter reads close to 10v and the light is out, and at others the light is dimly lit (or even fully lit at rare times) and the voltmeter is reading 13-14v.

And the big red light to the left of the headlight switch is oddest of all, as I have absolutely no idea what feeds it, and it doesnt compare to either the voltmeter or the electric light. It more often than not lights bright when I first start the car then fades, tho at times will remain dimly lit for a while.

Patrick

Reply to
Patrick Glenn

The OIL light is turned on by a pressure switch on the engine. It is quite normal on old engines (qtr-century!) for the light to come on when the oil is hot and thin when idling.

This light measures the *difference* between the alternator output voltage and the battery voltage. If the alternator is not charging, the difference will be 12V and the light will come on. It may light dimly if there is voltage drop in the dash wiring; this is normal. If it lights brightly while driving, it can mean the alternator has stopped working and/or the fan belt has broken.

Look closely at this light. There is a symbol around the light which means "brakes". This light indicates a malfunction in the dual-circuit brake hydraulic system. But......it is normal for the light to come on when first started. This was done deliberately as a test for the bulb.

There is more info on the brake warning on my web site.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim