rattle in gear stick

Hi Ramva,

I'm having a strange rattle in my gear stick when accelerating. When i put my hand on it the ratlle disapears but the stick still shivers. Could this be something silly like lack of grease in the gear rod connected to the gear stick or is it more dramatic..? :( Btw, it is a '73 SB manual trans.

Thanks in advance! Roger

Reply to
bug '59

shift rod bushing....just rearward of the shifter....bushing goes in a hanger and the shift rod goes through that to the back of car....they get old, brittle, then fall apart in pieces..... will be putting one in my ghia soon...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

"Joey Tribiani" schreef in bericht news:qKkmg.93259$IZ2.55941@dukeread07...

Grpf, I believe that is a PITA to change. So if the bushing is gone it is not necessary to have a loose stick? (mine is tight) Thanks Chris for your input, maybe, just maybe i might change it. That is, if it is only annoying, and not harmfull to keep it that way :)

Roger

Reply to
bug '59

"bug '59" schreef in bericht news:44998e9f$0$2027$ snipped-for-privacy@text.nova.planet.nl...

Hmmmm, I was wondering... Does SB mean Super Beetle or Standard Beetle? I always thought it meant Standard..

Roger

Reply to
bug '59

Roger, its really not that bad of a job....the second time you do it....LOL... it may try your patience the first time, but it will make your ride more enjoyable since you won't need to keep your knee pressed against the shifter!... the shifter may not be "loose" when the bushing is shot.... the rattling you hear is the metal rod rattling agains the metal hanger..... not sure if it will cause damage if left alone without a bushing.... vibrations can do odd things, and for a couple dollar part and a few hours(first time) to change it out, probably not worth chancing.... a good shifter, new bushing, and new shift coupler(at rod to trans linkage point) make for great and solid shifting....

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Typically the "SB" is to designate the superbeetle....

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

"Joey Tribiani" schreef in bericht news:XeEmg.93300$IZ2.34747@dukeread07...

Ah, well then I don't have a SB but a Standard Beetle :)

I might try the shifter issue in a few weeks (weekends). Tomorrow i'm gonna work on the brakes, new shoes, cillinders and soft lines. and while I'm at it, replace the rear shocks. It's lowered and every speedramp is a dissaster...

Next weekend I'm planing to replace the manifolt rubbers (DP) and the exhaust . I think I have to pull the engine because I've seen some strange fitted bolts on the exhaust studs... This could get ugly... but then that's a perfect job for me!! lol

I hope all goes well, if not... "I'll be back"

Cheers Roger

Reply to
bug '59

One way to avoid the rattle is to not rest your hand on the gear shift while driving. This accelerates the wear of the bushing.

Fweem.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Tosi

"Dave Tosi" schreef in bericht news:uBTmg.4470$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.southeast.rr.com...

I'll keep that in mind áfter I changed the bushing... Today the brakes are on the menu :)

Cheers Roger

Reply to
bug '59