Re: 009 distributor wear.

I swear this is the second time I've had a 009 go out on me. =A0Seems the

> bushings wear out. I guess they just got old, me too. > The Q. is , what lubes the shaft and I do oil the felt in the middle. > Did I hear that the distributor cap has #3 offset to run cooler? > -- > Money! What a concept.

If you have points, then you should lube the felt wick in the middle at least once a year. It helps lube the part of the points that rubs against the distributor cam lobe.

This is a really good replacement for the 009 distributor if you have the stock carburetor.

ACN SVDA Distributor Part #: IGD0001

Price: $ 159.95 Our SVDA or the Mallory Unilite are our recommended distributors for VW engines. We supply these with new points, condensor, cap, and rotor, and they are based on BRAND NEW Genuine Bosch distributors! The combination of centrifugal and vacuum advance give the smoothest performance, a 3-4mpg improvement in your fuel economy on the highway, and a major drop in engine temps on the highway too!

Jim Ed

The 009 was built to be a utility distributor more appropriate to VW's appliances such as their low-RPM water pump and generator. It's a piece of junk.

Reply to
John Stafford

Isn't the 009 distributor better for a dual carb set up than a vac advance distributor is?

Reply to
Jim Ed

The 009, as it is out of the box, does not even make a good paperweight due to the somewhat round and awkward shape. You would have to fabricate some sort of helper legs to keep it from rolling off. Maybe THEN, the chromed version could make a half decent paperweight for light duty applications. Try at your own risk. Test first with some scrap paper.

If you are feeling REALLY adventurous or just like pain and misery, and intend on using it on an engine, it needs to be modified to fit that particular engine's needs. Then it will work reasonably well. After a few hours of tweaking :) And while the shaft bushings can be sloppy when new, it will no longer be an issue if you upgrade to a pointless ignition kit like Pertronix, which of them all is my favorite by far.

Check the drive gear/cog shims too at the bottom of the distributor shaft. They can be too tight or too loose.

Jim: The SVDA when tweaked to optimum for the particular engine it is going into, will always outperform a similarly optimized 009. No question. Use the 009 when you cannot get a suitable vacuum signal from the carburator(s).

Reply to
Jan Andersson