Re: Alternator - 1979 Super Beetle - Internal regulator 55A Bosch

> Alternator: > Bosch 0 120 489 565 566 > K1-14V 55A 22 > 043 903 023C > > Greetings newsgroupers, > > I'm an electronics technician, not a mechanic, but I have managed a fair > number of auto repairs over the years. My current project is fixing the lack > of battery charging on a '79 (1979) VW (Volkswagen) Super Beetle. This car > is equipped with a Bosch alternator, and has no air-conditioning. > > I thought I would simply replace the alternator but soon found that it was > not removable without pulling the engine. (Correct me if I'm wrong.) But I > did manage to dismantle a number of items around the alternator (for the > purpose of gaining access to the various alternator related screws and > bolts.) I discovered that the lower left bolt holding the fan cover to the > fan housing would be impossible to access without an engine pull. Also, I > suspect that even if that bolt were removed, I would still not be able to > remove the alternator because the fan would not clear its housing. (Again, > correct me if I'm wrong.) For me, it would be far better to just fix the > alternator in place - if possible. > > Anyway, I discovered that the voltage regulator is easily removable from the > (in place) alternator, and I believed that by simply replacing the regulator > I would have some chance of fixing the problem. But then I carried out a web > search and discovered that all of the rectifier diodes are also mounted > inside the alternator - and believe that a bad diode is equally if not more > likely to be the problem then a defective voltage regulator. So, I decide > the best thing to do is to replace all the diodes and the regulator at the > same time. > > What do you all think? Is this a good idea? > > Anyway, in my effort to remove the alternator, I tried to remove the belt - > but not finding a way to relieve the belt tension I was unable to do so. > Since the belt was old and showed some signs of cracking, I decided to > simply cut it off. Now, I need to know the proper way to install a fresh > belt. Must I remove a pulley - if so, which one, the engine pulley or the > alternator pulley? (I see that the alternator pulley has a small "cut" in > it - presumable provided as a place to lock it by means of wedging in a > wrench or whatnot.) My guess is that the alternator pulley must be removed, > but I want to check with you guys first. This may turn out to be a moot > point because I will no doubt have to remove the alternator pulley anyway in > order to change the diodes. > > And now for my questions: (You knew they were coming.) > > 1) Can I in fact change the diodes by removing the front of the > alternator? > 2) Are these diodes found in groups of one, two, three or what? > 3) Where is the best place to buy good quality diodes and regulators? > 4) What is the truth about diode blowing and the opening of the battery > circuit? > - Is it possible to add an external "protector circuit" to prevent > future diode loss due to an open battery connection? > > Any links to pictures, manuals, diagrams etc. would be much appreciated. > > Thanks all, > - Stan Shankman

Run, don't walk to the nearest (on-line) bookshop and get the Bentley manual for this car. It won't show you the internals of the Alt, but will give you a clearer picture of how the engine and fan shroud are put together.

As a practical matter, the engine is best removed in order to lift the fan shroud high enough. Yes, it *can* be done with engine in car but you'd better be a contortionist. Either way means learning a whole new set of skills besides electronics.

Diode failures usually result in a short rather than open. Rather than no charging, the thing often discharges the battery...fast.

I think it's worth springing for a regulator, if you can find one.

Or..if you're experimentally inclined, locate the brushes which contact the slip rings. Apply 1 Amp or so of excitation to the slip rings and measure the alternator output at 2500 RPM or so.

Oh, to get the belt off: lodge a screwdriver in the slot to lock the shaft. Put a spark plug socket on the shaft nut and loosen. The rear pulley sheave will come off, along with shim washers. NOTE HOW they came apart.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

You probably have the AL82N. I don't work on them, so I can't tell you about the internal structure. I have a hunch though that you're not going to change diodes with out removal. I have heard that some of the auto parts stores (Auto-Zone??) will test the thing in place.

You can make a crude test: Apply negative voltage (thru an ohmmeter) to the D+ post: should get current flow. Apply positive voltage: no current flow.

Jim Stan Shankman wrote:

Reply to
Speedy Jim