Re: Brake Master Cylinder- Slightly OT

From: snipped-for-privacy@chebucto.ns.ca (Howard Eisenhauer)

> >I'm trying to come up with a twin circuit remote reservoir brake system >for another of our vehicles when I realized that our bug has a remote. >That got me thinking about fitting a VW MC to the other vehicle. > >What I'm looking for is a dual circuit, drums front & rear. This would be >going on an early model jeep CJ5 so I'm thinking a bus unit may be more >appropriate size-wise. >

why not ask the Jeep groups? Most of the air cooled vehicles don't have a power brake master booster, does this Jeep?

dave

dave ( snipped-for-privacy@aol.comANTISPAM) wrote: : >From: snipped-for-privacy@chebucto.ns.ca (Howard Eisenhauer) : >

: >I'm trying to come up with a twin circuit remote reservoir brake system : >for another of our vehicles when I realized that our bug has a remote. : >That got me thinking about fitting a VW MC to the other vehicle. : >

: >What I'm looking for is a dual circuit, drums front & rear. This would be : >going on an early model jeep CJ5 so I'm thinking a bus unit may be more : >appropriate size-wise. : >

: why not ask the Jeep groups? : Most of the air cooled vehicles don't have a power brake master booster, does : this Jeep?

No, the jeep is not power assisted, the MC is under the floor which leaves no room for a power booster & makes it %^&$ hard to fill the reservoir. Not only that but a MC without the reservoir attached would leave some badly needed room for driveshaft of a PTO winch I want to install.

I've checked the jeep groups, no one seems to have done anything like I contemplating,

Thanks,

Howard.

: later, : dave : Reminder........ : Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, : when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their : shoes. Frieda Norris

-- Howard Eisenhauer on ************************************** * * Chebucto Community Network * Can't think of anything cute * Halifax Nova Scotia * to put in here * * * snipped-for-privacy@chebucto.ns.ca **************************************

Reply to
Howard Eisenhauer

Thanks, I've already checkef out the offerings @

but thier remote units all have fittings exiting on the wrong side. Thanks for the tip thouugh, I'll try googling for other sources. Thanks also for the tip about the cylinder volumes, I'll check that as well although the main driving force behind this is to replace the complete system as I want to go from my '55's stock single circuit 9" drums the the safer '70s 11" dual circuit system.

Unfortunatly the stock MC for these brakes sits under the floor, the same as the existing one, making it hard to fill & taking up space I need for something else.

Thanks again,

Howard..

: > What I'm looking for is a dual circuit, drums front & : rear. This would be : > going on an early model jeep CJ5 so I'm thinking a bus : unit may be more : > appropriate size-wise. : >

: > The questions are- : >

: > Do VW units have a proportioning valve? : >

: > What's the thread size on the fittings, am I getting into : a metric vs. : > NPT situation here? : >

: > A unit with the line fittings facing towards the passenger : side would be : > preferable, can anybody recommend an appropriate unit : either by part : > number or application? : >

: > Thanks, : >

: > -- : > Howard Eisenhauer on : ************************************** : > * : * : > Chebucto Community Network * Can't think of : anything cute * : > Halifax Nova Scotia * to put in here : * : > * : * : > snipped-for-privacy@chebucto.ns.ca : **************************************

-- Howard Eisenhauer on ************************************** * * Chebucto Community Network * Can't think of anything cute * Halifax Nova Scotia * to put in here * * * snipped-for-privacy@chebucto.ns.ca **************************************

Reply to
Howard Eisenhauer

No

M10x1, yes, they are metric AND they are an unusual "bubble" flare.

You're really asking for a lot of trouble here. You also have to consider how it mounts, how it is actuated, what the bore diameter is, and what amount of stroke is necessary to drive the wheel cylinders.

-

Jim Adney