Re: Emergency Kit -- Putting Up Website

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 12:31:06 -0500, "MN AirHead" left Mt Vesuvius in a state of jealous awe as he began spewing from the mouth thusly:

Howdy. > >There's been a ton of activity on the website I do.... everyone wants to >have a packing list for an emergency kit. > >I checked Muir and found some items... and have added some based on road >failures. > >The thought would be to make a kit that can be assembled at a swap meet and >fit into a milk crate. > >John Stafford always laughs at me pulling a complete long-block on road >trips... maybe this will eliminate some of the road trip bulk > > >===========Around Town Version============= >Muir Book >Tool Kit >Test Light >Jumper Wire w/Alligator Clips >Voltage Regulator >Oil >Loaded Distributor (new points, condensor and cap) >Plug Wires & Plugs >Generator Pulley >Accelerator Cable >Battery Cable Ends > > >========Road Trip Version -- Add to the Around Town Version======= >Loaded Heads >Oil Pump >Valve Gaskets >Oil Gaskets >Carburator >A Real VW Manual > > > > >Am I forgetting anything???? I've thought about seals on the road trip >version and/or a clutch plate.... thought would be to bring a small box that >would fix most break downs with things not commonly available > >Your postings would be greatly helpful. > >T. >

Fan/generator/alternator belt. Baling wire. Duct tape. Extra fuses. Bottle of water to drink (for road trip version). Fire extinguisher. Cell phone. Antifreeze...*cough*... :-)

-- Travis (Shaggie) '63 VW Camo Baja...

corrodes the vessel that carries it.The statements above reflect my own opinions and experiences and nothing more.I don't pretend to be a professional mechanic, politician, philosopher,attorney, or chiropractor.Take any advice in this post at your own risk, and with a grain of salt."Milk is for babies. Beer is for men." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Reply to
travis

Shag....

Guess my over doing it with a spare pulley would be pointless without a belt...

You're either one of the smartest ones around .... or I'm one of the flakiest ones around.

attorney, or chiropractor.

Reply to
MN AirHead

"MN AirHead" wrote

To the around town kit: jumper cables

To the road trip kit: fuel pump (it's small, doesn't take up much space) generator w/cooling fan installed (if you have one laying around) tire patch kit

12v air compressor small gas can ... with gas of course :o) ... and maybe a clutch cable
Reply to
Scott H.

... and a Christmas tree stand in which to put the antifreeze.

Reply to
mez

My God! Are you guys SERIOUSLY carrying all those things in your bugs? daily? Wow, I though I was smart taking a multi-use swiss knife in the glove-box..... :D

Ant

"MN AirHead" wrote:

Reply to
Ant

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 23:32:23 +0200, Ant left Mt Vesuvius in a state of jealous awe as he began spewing from the mouth thusly:

Nah, those are just things we know would be a good idea to carry, but don't anyway. Last time I had a flat tire I discovered I didn't even have my tire iron with me, and my jack was so rusty that I could barely get it to work. heh heh

-- Travis '63 VW Camo Baja...

corrodes the vessel that carries it.The statements above reflect my own opinions and experiences and nothing more.I don't pretend to be a professional mechanic, politician, philosopher,attorney, or chiropractor.Take any advice in this post at your own risk, and with a grain of salt."Milk is for babies. Beer is for men." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Reply to
travis

Sure I carry a crate of spares.... This way it eliminates some of the road problems....

When there's an issue... about 1/2 of the things that can go wrong are eliminated since they're not in the crate.

I started carrying around the crate as a way to keep "inventory".... the I have a packing list and then stop by my store when I've used a few items.... do it on my terms and not drive around....

Since some of our cars are Big Unkowns.... it's a kind of security plan...

After being broken down in Kansas have guaranteed it wouldn't happen again

Most of our parts are given away at club/roadside breakdowns.

T.

attorney, or chiropractor.

Reply to
MN AirHead

Reply to
mez

also not a bad idea to carry a length of fuel line and extra clamps...also an extra fuel filter....i *used* to also carry a 1/4 inch drill bit to jam into a broken brake hose and secure with a clamp...gotta be careful braking with a clamped off line, but it may get you home in the middle of the night...

------------------- Chris Perdue

*All opinions are those of the author of this post* "Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug"
reply take your PANTS off
Reply to
Chris Perdue

AAA card. Someone already mentioned cell phone.

-Rob J

Chris Perdue wrote:

Reply to
Rob J

pffft.....i never leave my car....i only call for a tow if it has been in a wreck and is not drivable...

------------------- Chris Perdue

*All opinions are those of the author of this post* "Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug"
reply take your PANTS off
Reply to
Chris Perdue

Not a bad idea to carry an extra lug nut/ bolt or two. Recently lost a valve cover at night on my type 2. Luckly I had another at home and I had her up an running in no time. Just imagine if it happened in the middle of no where. You can never have enough flashlights!

"Wild" Bill Tucker and Linda

'78 VW Bus ( Old Rusty and she actually runs )

'76 Bug (It's in the garage being rewired, and interior installed)) : )

'67 Squareback ( Soon to be on the Front burner! )

'56 Oval Ragtop ( On the back burner) : (

Rare Air VW Club Website:

or

Wild Bill

Reply to
Ilambert

"Joey Tribiani" wrote

I've had the same thing happen to me also.

-- Scott

Reply to
Scott H.

On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 04:18:46 GMT, "Scott H." ran around screaming and yelling:

LOL...well obviously you should have put good line on the car so you didn't have to worry about it...LOL (*Max, if you are still reading my crap, i hope you realize i *have* to do it everytime someone else steps up with a broken fuel line story to back up my original suggestion...no offense intended) J

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 05:59:58 GMT, Max ran around screaming and yelling:

good ;-)...i was worried by your lack of responces...LOL J

Reply to
Joey Tribiani