Re: HELP! Adjusting rear suspension

what is holding it in place?is the brake line attatched and won't let you move it any more?usually you can clear the spring plate without undoing anything but if it will not move you may have to undo a few things to free up some more room. russ

torsion bar using the procedures on "Rob and Dave's Aircooled volkswagen > pages".
Anyway. Igot > the spring plate disconnected from the axle, but can't swing the axle back far > enough to clear the spring plate. The axle only moves a few inches fore/aft. I > can get quite a bit of up/down movement but again not enough to move it clear > of the spring plate. With the axle in the way I can't get the spring plate > pried out from the torsion bar and hence can't make any adjustments. Any > suggestion would be greatly appreciated.
Reply to
Russ

yes i would bet that would be the difference sorry i can't offer more help russ

Reply to
Russ

On 03 Aug 2003 14:42:42 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnospam (1974 Std Sunbug), who was sitting in a corner eating his Xmas pie stuck in his thumb and pulled out a plum and began to run off at the mouth like so:

Quote: "Tip: TWIST the axle with your hands as the spring plate lowers to help the spring plate clear the parking brake cable."

I found that if I twisted the axle as I moved it backwards that it would move backwards further, enough to clear the spring plate. Give it a shot.

Here's the whole procedure I used. Click on the smaller pictures for the larger version along with an explanation of what I was doing:

luck!

-- Travis (Shaggie) '63 VW Camo Baja...

corrodes the vessel that carries it.

Reply to
travis

No joy. Shaggy, I believe your procedures are for a swing axle. I have double jointed. After taking a close look at your photos and at my bug they just don't look the same. There is just no way that rear axle is moving aft unless I disconnect the axle (CV joint) which I was not planning on and don't have the correct tools for yet. Now i just have to try and get the cover back on. This is my daily driver and I need it for Monday! Thanks again for trying to help.

Reply to
1974 Std Sunbug

On 03 Aug 2003 18:39:05 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnospam (1974 Std Sunbug), who was sitting in a corner eating his Xmas pie stuck in his thumb and pulled out a plum and began to run off at the mouth like so:

Sure. Sorry it didn't work out for you. Good luck getting it all back together.

-- Travis (Shaggie) '63 VW Camo Baja...

corrodes the vessel that carries it.

Reply to
travis

I just got done doing this job on my 74 super beetle. I also was unable to get the diagonal arm to drop down far enough to completely clear the spring plate until I removed the inner diagonal pivot bolt, it's a 17mm allen(same size as the transaxle drain plug). Pull that out and you'll free things up quite a bit. When you do take it out be aware there are a few washers in there and they need to go back the way they come out. You may want to go ahead and disconnect the CV joint from the axle. Honestly, I don't know if you can do the adjustment without disconnecting it. I used some old telephone wire to hold it up out of the way while I was working. The bolts holding it in place take a special 12 point tool that you can get at autozone.

Chris

Reply to
Hal

Thanks Mark and Chris. It's off to the tool store to pick up a 17mm hex. I needed one anyway to change the tranny fluid. Was really hoping to the get the job finished this weekend. It rains almost every afternoon here starting around

3pm; I get off work at 3:30. Guess it'll be a wet job for me! I'll let ya'll know how I faired once I'm done. Thank you again for all the help folks. As I have said before..... the greatest bunch of folks I have never met!
Reply to
1974 Std Sunbug

Big bent bolt (or maybe it's a screw).

Reply to
Oldbie

Sounds like you need to check out Shaggie's homemade garage. You still got those pics up on your site Shag? You know the ones of the big blue tarp stretched over PVC if I remember right.

-- Terry B AKA VDUBBS Buggin in Bama

- vdubbs at highstream dot net64 Bug Rauchen

--------------------

Reply to
TerryB

On Mon, 4 Aug 2003 09:40:46 -0500, "TerryB" , who was sitting in a corner eating his Xmas pie stuck in his thumb and pulled out a plum and began to run off at the mouth like so:

Yeah, they're still there...

-- Travis (Shaggie) '63 VW Camo Baja...

corrodes the vessel that carries it.

Reply to
travis

Hey, I like that idea! Unfortunately I live on a US Naval Station (on base family housing). You think homeowners associations are rough?!?!? I can't even bring a non-running car home!

Reply to
1974 Std Sunbug