Re: i think i'm in deep trouble. (diff?)

> running a 74 super: > > i've been hearing a funny rubbing noise on the left rear wheel in cornering > for a while now. i thought it must be the wheel bearing, so i replaced it > (what a mission without the right tools, let me tell you) > > but when i was open enough, i found that the protruding axle stub moves > about 5mm in and out (~ 1/5 in) i replaced the bearing and put everything > back together. topping up the transaxle oil, i noticed leaking from the > junction where the axle goes into the gearbox. obviously now the noise is > still there. i fear i have a broken diff or something. what are my options? > i'm guessing a professional overhaul of the tranny or replacement of it. can > it be fixed or am i in for big expense?

Just to note: Koos is in Africa and his '74 has a swing axle.

When the brake drum is removed, it is normal for the axle to move in and out a bit. This may not be significant. (Yes, replacing the wheel bearing without tools deserves a "heroes" badge.)

It doesn't sound like differential trouble to me. The inner end of the axle moves up and down (as well as rotates) on the "fulcrum" plates; wear here might cause noises.

In any event, further disassembly is probably beyond what one can do without proper tools...

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim